Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: found 1956 Packard Executive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thanks for a fascinating read, Roscoe. I had heard of the "high speed equipment" for the 5680s, but never the "racing car equipment" for the 5660s. Any info on that? What fun.

Posted on: 2011/8/14 20:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have no information on the racing equipment would be interesting to know what it consisted of

Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gentleman -

This wouldn't be the first time we've run into discrepancies regarding what was and wasn't available as a regular production option.

Keep in mind that the RPO charts that I constructed some time ago were based SOLELY on Trade Letters that the factory sent to dealers regarding equipment and pricing. My intent was to (factually) summarize equipment availability over the course of the production run in a logical format - as a quick reference. While the Trade Letter information doesn't always jibe with what's in the parts book, we don't have examples of all of those letters available for my inspection.

Now, this isn't the first time that I've seen that "APPROVED CODES FOR 56TH SERIES" document of April 11, 1956. Dwight Heinmuller kindly provided me with copy of the pages regarding the equipment and codes back in 2008 - as noted in my post #18 in the old thread on "1956 Build Slip Codes".

At the time, we were more concerned with a variety of additional codes that had not been cited in the Trade Letters, but this document is short on details and raises some questions. Have we since found any production records showing the additional equipment codes?

I can revise the 1956 RPO chart to include this additional info, but things could get messy, with plenty of additional footnotes required. The transmission and overdrive equipment for Seniors isn't the only deviation. However, such a revision will take some time as I am presently mired in work on Service Index content for prewar years.

Meanwhile, be advised that I have found documentation on AIR as the equipment code for Air Conditioning for 55th series (optional on all models). Are there any other issues with 55th Series equipment/codes?

Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, if there are no further comments on this matter of transmissions and overdrive offerings, then I think I have a compromise that will allow for a revision of the 1956 RPO chart for the 56th Series without getting too complicated.

After examining some of the Trade Letters included in the Aller Collection, NOWHERE is Manual Shift Transmission (MS) listed as an option. Yet, we know it was used on many, though not all, models as standard equipment. So, I will note OD as an available option for 56th Senior cars, with a footnote that Manual Shift Transmsision was required. However, I will leave MS out of the table (proper) until further details become available.

BTW, I found that Ultramatic Transmission was coded as AT for 1954 and prior years. Logically, GS would be the code for the late-1954 addition of the Gear Start Ultramatic and simply carried over to the Twin Ultramatic for 1955-56, but I've not seen a document confirming that for the 54th Series.

Clearly, there are still many pieces missing from the greater picture puzzle; hopefully more will turn up in time.

I will advise when revisions have been completed and provided to BigKev.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 11:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
It has been awhile since I looked, but I don't ever recall seeing Standard Shift parts (clutch etc) listed for ANY senior cars in the 55-56 Parts book.I have seen a few senior cars with stick shift but every single one of them was a conversion from a Clipper model.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
We may be arguing over semantics, but when I read under 3.201 a part number for ALL 56TH I take it to mean just that.
For 55 they just list the trans and OD assembly for 5540-60.
For 56 they list it as ALL 56TH. The bell housing 3.2014 is listed the same way as is the flywheel assembly 5.0600. I have to assume the parts book is correct. That being said I have not heard of a 56 Caribbean stick shift.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
GTO -

You'll find that the parts book details on this typially show applications of "5540-60; ALL 56TH" - unless things vary by chassis. In fact, the first page of clutch details shows more than one example with specific applications for "5640-60-70" and "5680-88".

Yet, as you progress through the transmission details, you'll find applications mostly specified as "ALL 55TH; 56TH". That makes me wonder about availablity for 55th Series Seniors.

Surely, there must have been a factory letter explaining this late-breaking production change in more detail for '56 - as the March 2 letter on pricing and equipment for the 1956 Executive shows nothing on standard and overdrive equipment.

In lieu of that, we have to give the parts book more weight as it was updated more frequently, but it is not infallible. However, I will agree that there have been a siginifcant number of V8s converted to stick - thanks to donor vehicles.

I'd like to see a production order for each example of the '56 Senior models that shows standard and/or overdrive equipment as a bona fide factory install.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH writes I'd like to see a production order for each example of the '56 Senior models that shows standard and/or overdrive equipment as a bona fide factory install.

Amen to that, such documents would put all the conjecture and contraditions to rest!

Posted on: 2011/8/16 13:29
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
A few years ago I had a 56 Patrician, Danube Blue top and the rest of the car Adriatic Blue (no repeat of the Danube Blue below the stainless trim). I talked by phone with a man (do not recall name) who told me that he was in charge of the "Special Paint Shop" which painted all special order colors, all cars intended for senior executives and all show cars. Since my car used standard colors but the paint code was blank, he said it must have been a show car. Only show cars and nonstandard color combinations had a blank paint code. The build sheet noted "ship to New York, hold for Sales Department".

Posted on: 2011/8/16 15:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BH writes ; "I'd like to see a production order for each example of the '56 Senior models that shows standard and/or overdrive equipment as a bona fide factory install."

What about the build sheet collection that exists by someone selling them. I forgot who it is.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 15:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved