Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 36

DM37, R Howe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1931 Packard FWD
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Today, with the help of West Peterson, was able to get the pictures I was seeking of the 1931 Packard FWD prototype in the Bahre Collection courtesy of Jeff Orwig, the curator.

I can say that it does have a X-frame chassis BUT it is totally unique and does not look like any production Packard chassis of 1932 or 1933. It is based on the 1929-1931 frame but the X member was fabricated and doesn't look to even connect directly to the side rails but onto cross members. And of course doesn't have a tunnel for a driveshaft since there was none. Even the center plate of the X is proprietary.

There is a Patent 2,098,265 submitted in 1932 and issued in 1937 for a Front Wheel Drive Packard by C.W. Van Ranst but I am not sure if the front part of the framework represents the real car? The center section X doesn't.

So, that opens up the question as to why the 1932 production Super 8 and V12 Packards used the small X for one year only and why the prototype chassis incorporated the X it did?

Any takers on this round of questions?

Eric

Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1931 Packard FWD
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think several of us would enjoy seeing the pictures. Perhaps they will provoke some comment.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I think several of us would enjoy seeing the pictures. Perhaps they will provoke some comment.

I have a few more but there are pretty large and shows the X pretty good. One not here shows the back (front) of the engine sitting within the X fork.

The one I have attached shows where the X seems to stop where the cross rail under the engine area runs between the side rails.

Another not here is a different shot looking towards the rear and can see the same there.

Please don't use these photos without giving credit where credit is due. Thanks.

Eric

Attach file:

jpg  (128.21 KB)
2957_4eb9c07c55f22.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (135.58 KB)
2957_4eb9c08f47b89.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (141.44 KB)
2957_4eb9c22422931.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Hmmm... people aren't exactly crashing the servers posting follow ups to this post???

Posted on: 2011/11/10 8:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well for one thing i have no idea what i am looking at, so i have nothing to say.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/11/10 9:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
well for one thing i have no idea what i am looking at, so i have nothing to say.

Hank

Hank, what you are looking at is the frame of the only built front wheel drive Packard which also still exists. It is a 1931 model and Packard was going to build FWD cars to compete with the Cord L-29 but it never got off the ground.

The questions are about the X member of the frame design and history behind it being unique to this car as opposed to production Packard's of 1932 onward that started using the X brace? And also why the 1932 903-906 had its own unique X design for only one year since it was supposed to be this FWD car?

Eric

Posted on: 2011/11/10 9:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I really couldn't make out much from the photos either. But being a one-off prototype I suppose you could expect almost anything although it was built to be a driving prototype and not an engineering prototype.

What might help understand the situation is knowning more about the timing of events. On what date did Packard abandon the front-drive plan, and on what date was engineering completed for the Twin Six? I believe both these dates are known from Packard board meeting minutes, though I don't have them handy. I've always thought the time span was very short so to find a frame design in the Twin Six that was replaced a year later with a revised (improved?) design wouldn't be all that surprising.

I sort of question your comment that the 903-906 was supposed to be a front-drive car. I had assumed that, had the front-drive come to fruition, it would have been the low-end car line, not the top-end. Just an assumption.

You seem really keen on this topic - perhaps reviewing the Packard board meeting minutes of this era would be worthwhile to you.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 10:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I really couldn't make out much from the photos either. But being a one-off prototype I suppose you could expect almost anything although it was built to be a driving prototype and not an engineering prototype.

What might help understand the situation is knowning more about the timing of events. On what date did Packard abandon the front-drive plan, and on what date was engineering completed for the Twin Six? I believe both these dates are known from Packard board meeting minutes, though I don't have them handy. I've always thought the time span was very short so to find a frame design in the Twin Six that was replaced a year later with a revised (improved?) design wouldn't be all that surprising.

I sort of question your comment that the 903-906 was supposed to be a front-drive car. I had assumed that, had the front-drive come to fruition, it would have been the low-end car line, not the top-end. Just an assumption.

You seem really keen on this topic - perhaps reviewing the Packard board meeting minutes of this era would be worthwhile to you.

I know that at least the Twin Six models were going to be FWD cars.

And that when it came to show time when the FWD project was scrapped, the RWD prototype was rushed and came up with a completely different frame that looks more like the low end Eight cars of 1932. The high end Super 8 and Twin Six had a different chassis so there were two chassis production styles for 1932 and only one for 1933. Part of the puzzle was why the short lived smaller X design of the high end 1932 cars? At first I thought it was initially designed for the FWD cars but not used and altered for the RWD design but after seeing the prototype, they don't match at all. Yet, there could still be a connection between the 903-906 frame and the FWD going into proposed production?

I am not a club member so don't have access to minutes so any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Posted on: 2011/11/10 12:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Just wanted to add that the X frame connections are not by chance, or at least I don't think so. There were some of the same people who designed the Packard FWD prototype that also designed the Cord L-29 it was supposed to compete with.

There was a reason behind the Cord's X frame design and is part of Automotive history (though I may have even disproved that claim of fame recently) and wondered about the background with the Cord design connections as well as the variances mentioned above.

Eric

Posted on: 2011/11/10 13:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved