Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 55

Charles, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine dies when headlights are turned on
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Just wanted to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree here. From reading the other posts similar to this I believe I can safely assume that I have a regulator/generator problem with my baby, and probably have been operating on just the battery alone for some time. Just replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago (cold starting problems post). Car has been running great, better than ever, up until last night. What a pain! I've noticed some disparaging comments about some of the suppliers available for these items. I know I'm probably going to have to fork out more bucks than I'd like in this endeavor. Recommendations? Thanks again all!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/11/22 11:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine dies when headlights are turned on
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Forgive me, I haven't carefully followed what's gone on in the past with this problem, but have you performed the most basic of tests?

I assume your car does not have an ammeter. Attach a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running and an electrical load applied (headlamps for example), read the voltage. Then accelerate the engine modestly and measure the voltage again; Compare before and after readings.

Do the same thing again but this time with a temporary jumper wire grounding the Field terminal of the regulator.

In the first case the voltage probably dropped to about 6 volts or slightly less (a well-charged lead acid battery at rest should read about 6.6). If the voltage didn't increase to about 7.5 (+/- a few tenths) your charging circuit is not functioning.

In the second test, if the voltage now increases, the problem is the regulator and not the generator. DON'T leave the jumper connected for longer than needed to perform the test.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 12:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I had a similar problem recently with my 1950 Standard Eight. I believe I solved it somewhat by accident.

My generator seemed quite weak and was making a slight rattling sound, so I sprayed some LPS lubricant on the front end. In so doing I sprayed grime off an oil port. This port has a spring-loaded cap on the generator's forward left side. I checked the manual and saw you're supposed to put 20-weight oil in there. I'd never noticed the port before and have no idea how long it's been since anyone's oiled it.

So I squirted in some 20-wt the and the result was immediate. The generator started cranking out more power and provided the power more uniformly--i.e. with less flickering.

My mechanic, Jerry, thinks I'm full of baloney. He thinks that what really happened was that the lubricant spray cleaned up the commutator. He may be right, but I do know the car is running a lot better now!

Posted on: 2011/11/26 7:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Getting oil on the commutator is destructive to a generator, not only does the oil form an insulating barrier between the copper and the brushes, but it can ultimately soak into the carbon brushes and decrease their effectiveness, reducing or stopping the generator's output. Generators (and some starters) need oiling, but not over-oiling.

Regardless of what occurred in your situation, the moral of the story is to read the lubrication charts and requirements for your car and follow their guidance.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
To Captain Bristol: Thanks for the heads up on that! I spent about four hours going through my car today and your posting inspired me to go looking. Guess what? My generator is charging my system once again, no problems! I'm going to take some advice from Owen and spend some time on the service chart index for my car here. This IS the oldest vehicle that I've owned, and (obviously) I still have some learning to do. Thanks Guys!

Posted on: 2011/11/30 3:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I'm happy to be of assistance.

Mark

Posted on: 2011/12/1 15:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved