Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Rons '28 Packard Speedster Project.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ron, glad to see you back and posting your progress. Neat work, neat Packard. Thanks!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/2 15:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Ron,

Good to see the speedster coming together, great work!

Posted on: 2011/12/2 16:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Great to see it all going together at last. Hope you have a ball with it!

Posted on: 2011/12/2 22:13
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Wonderful progress, wonderful workmanship. Would you please post the details on the alternator mounting adaptation - was this custom made or purchased?
Thank you for sharing your project.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Hi Ron, we met in the basement of Cobo a few years ago. Good to see your Packard project coming together so nicely. I am anxious to see it all back together in one piece. What color are you going to paint it?
Todd
Livonia, MI

Posted on: 2011/12/5 13:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Schuman
See User information
We did the alternator a couple years ago so my memory of the details is a little fuzzy. Maybe after Autorama I can pull it off for another look. A friend machined an adapter to use the original chain sprocket on the new alternator, and a spacer to use the original mounting holes on the engine. Although the original generator looks big, there is really little room for a modern alternator. I went to a local rebuilder and got the smallest alternator he had that also charged well at low rpm to work with the low rpm engine. Unfortunatly with the position it is mounted it is impossible to see any markings indicating the make and model. I do believe it was from a small import. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:41
Ron
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Schuman
See User information
Todd,
I'm going to paint it an original 1930s Packard blue. It is so dark it looks black. With a red interior, of course!

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:44
Ron
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Ron, I know the blue you speak of and it will be sharp with a red interior. I was thinking of doing the same "blue" on my sedan with a distressed tan leather interior and baby blue pin stripes on the wheels and body. Do you still have the sedan body for your car? I'd be interested in your rear seat if you'd separate it from the body. You can see my car in the build blogs under Todds 7p sedan.

Posted on: 2011/12/8 22:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yes, that information is helpful - as to the alternator, you specifically note one of the big issues, charging at low rpm's so indeed, curious to know what you selected. And second, that the adapter was custom made. My friend David Stewart (25 Touring) is most interested in this adaptation, and rather than re-invent the wheel, any photographs & dimensions of this adapter would be greatly appreciated. "gotta get me one of those..."

Posted on: 2011/12/9 8:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Regarding alternators, I use a Powergen on my model T woody, it looks like a generator but is an alternator in disguise. The biggest drawback to this set-up on an early packard would be that it would require you to either engineer a mounting method for the chain drive or you would have to mount it on the drivers side of the car and belt drive it. This would leave an open hole on the passenger side of the timing chain cover casting. This could be filled nicely with a supercharger drive......just a thought.

Another option would be to use your original Packard gen and gut it and install and mini alt inside it.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 10:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved