Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: oil pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
To Morgan:

Before you condemn your oil pump, you need to validate that you have an oil pressure problem rather than a gauge problem.

Erratic gauge readings are characteristic of a poor connection - usually ground, broken sender, or worn out gauge. Thus, test your pressure with a gauge.

Also, anytime a one of these motors is rebuilt the gauge and sender need to be sent out and calibrated/rebuilt.

The last 56 I worked on had a brand new engine with a cracked blocked. They didn't rebuilt the radiator. The car then sat in storage for years and was done so long ago that it had an NOS Packard oil pump with all the updates. When I started the new motor the oil pressure was low, but the lifters quiet. The oil pressure was fine, but the gauge was shot.

The last thing you want to do is start putting goop into a motor to correct an oil pressure concern without first validating the problem. Heavy oils can damage parts and Packard advised against using heavy grades of motor oil except to reduce oil burning. The V-8 is a 10w-30 motor, although if a motor is worn out heavier oil probably won't hurt anything.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2011/12/20 17:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Tim Cole Quote:
Before you condemn your oil pump, you need to validate that you have an oil pressure problem rather than a gauge problem.

Good procedure. Mount an auxiliary mechanical gauge at the front of the driver-side head by T-ing into the line that goes to the oil filter. That is easy to do and easy to monitor with the hood up. That is the lowest pressure in the system.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/20 17:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mount an auxiliary mechanical gauge at the front of the driver-side head by T-ing into the line that goes to the oil filter. That is easy to do and easy to monitor with the hood up. That is the lowest pressure in the system.

Craig - great advice, all too infrequently mentioned and used as a diagnostic on V8 oiling issues.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Good advice will check the connections. Just finished a 50 Chevy 5 window with a 327 and have found that the gauges are not always accurate. Will any of the over the counter oil pressure gauges work? PS also found out that I now drive two cars that are no longer made now that Saab is kaput.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 20:48
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

don1260
See User information
Update on my car....it's in my garage again. The mechanic came back early and was in the process of taking the pump apart and couldn't get the pressure relief value out. It was stuck. He finally got it out...inspected spring and shined the valve, put it back together and now it runs a little above the half way mark normal speed and a little below at idle. The only other thing is the rear in is down and the torsion is no running. It think he ran it beyond the stops. I know there is a way to correct that, but I can't remember. Thanks again for the help. The mechanic read all the posts and said he is learning more about the Packard's. (this is his first one)

Posted on: 2011/12/22 17:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to hear your OP problem is resolved.

Have you advised your mechanic that when he uses a lift to raise the car by the frame that he needs to either disconnect the battery or switch the T/L off before lifting?

Posted on: 2011/12/22 18:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I had my oil pump rebuit by the late Bob Aller, My lifter noise problem is gone.If you had the pump down,you should have had it rebuilt.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 19:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto Quote:
Mount an auxiliary mechanical gauge at the front of the driver-side head by T-ing into the line that goes to the oil filter. That is easy to do and easy to monitor with the hood up. That is the lowest pressure in the system.

Craig - great advice, all too infrequently mentioned and used as a diagnostic on V8 oiling issues.

Dave,

Even though I am a co-developer of the Olds HV oil pump adapter kit and former producer of same AND I am a certified engineer and have been involved with high performance cars for many years, I AM the kind of engineer who says, "find out what's wrong first."

Sometimes, the stock V-8 oil pump (rebuilt or not, repaired or not) is OK...at least for a while.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/22 22:09
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

don1260
See User information
If I have trouble with this oil pump again I am going to do the conversion. I had the switch turned of on the torsion while it was being worked on. When I picked up the car we still had to put in the oil pressure sending unit. I turned it on to level it out. Two of us were leaning on the front and got of the fender and bumper and the front end started to go up. I tried to get to the switch to turn it off but didn't make it. Now the back end is down and won't come up.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 6:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

don1260 wrote:
If I have trouble with this oil pump again I am going to do the conversion. I had the switch turned of on the torsion while it was being worked on. When I picked up the car we still had to put in the oil pressure sending unit. I turned it on to level it out. Two of us were leaning on the front and got of the fender and bumper and the front end started to go up. I tried to get to the switch to turn it off but didn't make it. Now the back end is down and won't come up.
It's possible that while the mechanic was working underneath that the wires to the TL limit switches were bothered and may have been dissconnected. They are prone to separate with any disturbance.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 9:24
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved