Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New wiring harness?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
JimG,
I have a 55 Clipper, and like BigKev, I am building a "driver" and plan to convert to 12V negative ground, add AC, power windows, and other creature comforts. For the "purists", I don't consider this as destroying a classic since when I bought the vehicle, it was a "basket case", and would probably have been on it's way to the crusher had I not bought it.
My original harness was brittle and corroded, and when I started to investigate sources for replacement wiring. I found that OEM style and repro harnesses were quite expensive, so I decided to hand build a new harness myself. When I started pricing the components (wire, connectors, tape, etc.), it became obvious that I could purchase a pre-made universal harness for less than I could buy the components. After deciding that any harness I purchased would have to be comprised of the new GLX Crosslinked wire, I began searching vendors and found that most universal harnesses were similar, but fell into one two categories:
1. Universal with fusible link
2. Universal with master fuse
Within these, there are a couple of different "levels", each equating to wire size and cost.
In the end, I decided that my needs would be met by one of the EZ Wiring products, and I settled on a 21 circuit harness that I purchased from a vendor on eBay, for right at $150 shipped. Although I have not yet begun to install it, the product does appear well made and it looks like a quality product.
The decision is yours to make, but I do recommend that you not base your decision on cost alone. Your own level of expertise regarding auto systems repair, and critical system requirements, and ultimate vehicle usage, should be the motivating factors.
Sorry to be so longwinded, but a wiring harness will be one of the most difficult things to service once you have the car complete, so take your time and make a choice that you can live with.
John

Posted on: 2008/7/7 9:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i just bought an new coil, altinator, altinator bracket, solenoid, 2 new headlights,and 2 new plugs for the headlights.

i'm going to be ordering the ez wire 21 kit (EZW-17C).. tomorrow probably..

i'm planning on replacing the cap/rotor/condenser/points.. i noticed they had a "tune up kit" from Kanter that has all that stuff for $60.. are there any that i could just go down to the parts store and pick up? i checked the "x-ref" and found a few things that looked like they would work, but when i tried to look up the model number, they came back negative..

Quote:
Rotor - Clipper Deluxe 1953 RR158 - Napa May fit other Years and Models also

Quote:
Points - Clipper Deluxe 1953 CS77A - Napa May fit other Years and Models also

Quote:
Condensor - Clipper Deluxe 1953 RR174 - Napa May fit other Years and Models also

Quote:
Cap - Clipper Deluxe 1953 R159 - Napa May fit other Years and Models also

Posted on: 2008/7/7 15:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I noticed that search on Napa's website for some reason doesnt work worth a damn anymore unless they have your car make/model/year in the database, or have the exact napa part number. Some of those part number are echlin, and some are other brands. But I got most of them from Napa. So if you go into the store they should be able to look them up. The Napa website used to great for cross referencing one brand to another, but not anymore

Check Autozone.com as I have tune parts there when I put in my year/make/model. They dont have everything listed, but they do have a few things. Also try rockauto.com, their catalog is pretty good also, and they had all the brake parts listed for my '54.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Drake: Although you hijacked my wiring harness thread to ask about tune-up parts (not nice), I will nevertheless pass on what I believe are NAPA part numbers that work on my 1952 Packard with 288 engine and Delco (not Autolite) electrical components:

Sparkplugs: Champion J8 - 14mm .028" gap (NAPA pn 841)
Condenser: NAPA pn RR174
Distributor cap: NAPA pn A1Q (the distributor is Delco pn 1110825)
Rotor: NAPA pn RR99
Coil: NAPA pn IC7
Sparkplug wires: 1960s-70s, 389 Pontiac wires

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/7 21:45
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
oopsie..

i was just trying to add some other useful info to this thread (which already has some very useful info) with some questions i had, that pertain to the subject.. converting 6v to 12v.. and new wiring harnesses.. (harnesi?) ;)

**edit**

oh yeah, and thank you for the additional info!

Posted on: 2008/7/7 22:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved