Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 130

John Sauser, 53 Cavalier, Don B, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

47 Custom Super Exhaust Systems
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
Getting ready to send the 47 Custom Super Clipper to the body shop for new body work and paint.
Trying to get all the systems repaired / renewed so I don't have to work over fresh paint.

Looking at the current exhaust system.... looks like it may be the original (??) system. The exhaust pipe and tail pipe and muffler are sound (?) but are covered with surface rust and look bad. The muffler's outer surface has small "diamond shaped" embossing on it. The last time I ran the car was 2007 and I can't remember what it sounded like.

I would like to replace the entire system with new to be on the safe side.
I have looked at the Packard suppliers ( Kantor and Kepich)
and they list regular steel or stainless steel exhaust systems.

Question for today...... Go with the regular steel or go with the extra cost and get the Stainless steel system ?
Also, has any one had experience with either of these
systems in reguard to fit and /or ease of installation?
I have the car up on jack stands now. In my garage/
workshop. No lift in my garage.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 14:15
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 Custom Super Exhaust Systems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Respectfully suggest you look at Waldron also. They have been making good product for many years.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I have used Kepich within the last couple of years. I believe I purchased thru e-bay. I had received a quote from Waldren but was very expensive and would not move on price. I went with the Kepich steel. I too, had the car on jack stands and the installation went very smooth. Just a note, the tailpipe came in 2 pieces for ease in getting over rear axle. Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/1/22 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I ordered an exhaust pipe, muffler, and tail pipe from Kepich for my 47 Custom Clipper sedan. I could not get the exhaust pipe to fit. They sent me another one to try. That one did not work either. I ended up cutting one of the pipes to get it installed. I had removed the engine splash shield. The muffler, a NORS, worked fine. The tail pipe came in two pieces, but I could not get it to fit. I had the stabilizer bar off and the car on jack stands on the frame so the rear axle was hanging down. I used my old tail pipe. I wanted all new parts, but it did not work out. I ended up returning the tail pipe and one of the exhaust pipes. I must say their customer service was excellent. Just could not get their parts to fit. Price was reasonable.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/23 12:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own experiences with Kepich exhaust systems, both for my own car (34 Eight) and several others, could at best be called very poor.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 13:16
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
Thank you for comments on my original post. I am still wondering about the "regular steel or Stainless steel"
Question.....
I have a Stainless steel system on my '61 Chrysler 300 G,
( The Chryler came with the Stainless system installed
by the previous owner...... It had all the joints
welded. I had to cut the system apart when I did
the Rebuild / Restoration )
Living up in Northern Minnesota, we have a long period
that we not able to use our vintage cars. Called
cold weather or winter. Cars stored in unheated
garages can be subject to the rest bug.
I belive that I will shy away from Kepich Exhaust.
I have delt mostly with Kantor and they have been VERY
helpful with my Packard projects.
I have been leaning to the Stainless System for the
longevity factor.
I just hope that I am able to manuver the pipes and get
the system installed.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 19:33
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know if you caught this but some had a discussion on some stainless pro/cons last year. Maybe still pertinent.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=68438#forumpost68438

Posted on: 2012/1/23 19:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The above posters are right. Stainless steel is for the birds. It doesn't resonate correctly. Mild steel lasts for ages. If you're worried about rust, just paint it with any of the fine coatings available. I've bought exhaust systems from John Kepich for my '40 Packard in the mid-'70s, and my '47 Super Clipper 20 years ago, which still looks and sounds good, stem to stern.

BTW, Kepich tooled up to make the manifold heat valve thermostat spring cover for me out of stainless steel. That's one place stainless is nice. So if you need one of these for your 1940-50 356, order one from him.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I got my exhaust from Kanter ,along with a muffler ,it didnt fit so perfectly ,muffler was fine but the pipe came very close to the front of the tank where it turns to go goes under tank ,alsothe pipe bumps on frame where it goes throu amidships .
I used insulating wrap on the pipe at this area near the tank ,and shielded the tank with adhesive heat proof tape where it goes under to keep the fuel from getting warmed ,(also made a heat shield for the carb agains the manifold out of a can , ran the fuel line by the manifold in a heat shield fabric tube from the racing shop )
,I was missing the bracket to attach it to the side of the transmission .mild steel will last decades ,the system sounds great

Posted on: 2012/2/21 17:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been over a year since this thread started so I'm wondering what the outcome and choice was. I'm also going to be ordering a system soon and starting research.

I see Kepich (KlassCollection), Classic, Waldron and Kanter all offer the complete aluminized steel system for a Custom 8. Prices range 200, 270, 300 and 375 + shipping. Have I missed any vendors? Seems like a lot of price variation for a single pipe simple system. Just curious if anyone cares to speculate for a reason such as quality of components or ???

I had experience with Kepich on my 56 about 20 yrs ago and it wasn't horrible but others seem to have had different luck more recently. How about any of the others?

Posted on: 2013/6/30 19:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved