Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 105 106 107 (108) 109 110 111 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I had some original paint left behind under the grease and to me this, in person, looks fine to me. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close. Besides, Idgas.... Cause I like it.

I'm sure mine isn't right, but again Idgas.

I'm so ready to be done and just drive the damn thing.

Sorry for my attitude.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/2/23 0:53
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Have to agree with Packdaddy.I looked at a low mileage (14,100 )original 55 Constellation and the engine was blue.The paint on your car looked very much (but not quite) like the paint I saw on an original Executive engine (Executives were basically Clipper Customs with a Packard front end)

Posted on: 2012/2/23 6:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i think the shade of black on my frame is wrong too.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 9:24
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hank -

My dad's '56 Exec had the same engine/color as the '56 Clipper Custom, but there was nary a hint of paint left on the engine when I rediscovered his car, parked in a field, 1976. However, I later found the original water pump in a box of used parts in the garage, which had been replaced with a new one, back when the car was still in daily use. Underneath all the grime, there was sufficient amount paint to show a brilliant, emerald green, metallic shade.

While the new paint on your engine might have a greenish cast in some of the images attached to this blog, it looks nothing like the 56th Series green engine enamel to me.

I'm sure you know that type of light source (sunlight vs. incandescent vs. fluorescent, etc.) affects the shade of color captured in a digital image, as well as on negative/film. Also, some digital cameras have better "color registration" than others. Then, all computer screens are NOT equal (some not even close) WRT displaying color correctly.

Then, who's to say formulations were consistent throughout original production? Heck, even some of the modern paint codes have multiple formulas. (Problem is even worse with dye lots in the textile business.) Yet, no one has ever been able to provide me with a bona fide OEM paint chip chart showing the engine colors.

All that aside, though UV plays much less of role on underhood components, surely heat, grime, and time has some effect on the shade of engine paint - even the lowest-mileage, unmolested original car.

There's nothing wrong with people complaining/warning of their experience with color mismatch with a vendor's product, but as long as the new paint is reasonably close to the original color that you found on your original engine, be happy.

Meanwhile, illegitimi non carborundum.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 10:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Hank, what matters is that you did great work and the paint job is beautiful!

Posted on: 2012/2/23 10:22
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Its only my opinion,but the shade of the engine paint on Hanks car engine, in my eyes is era correct. Different light sources and different cameras can bend light and make colors appear odd shaded.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 11:08
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah idk...in person it looks fine to me. looked just like the old paint to me. oh well. moving on

anyone have that little spring for the fuel filter. i can't find mine, if i ever even had one. i looked in all my parts boxes. i did find the missing sparkplug wire holder for the other valve cover though, so that was nice.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/2/23 11:36
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packdaddy
See User information
Everybody is a little sensitive today! I was not being critical of Hank's paint on his motor or his frame. I think he is doing an absolutely fabulous job. Much more detailed than many of us could ever imagine doing. I was merely relating my personal story and what happened to ME when I tryed to get a color match on my Constellation engine. As far as I know there could have been several shades of turquoise used in the production of the 55's. From what I've read it was it was chaos at the Conner Ave. plant. The owner is really the only one who has to be happy with the finished product when restoring any car, especially a Packard. That's all that counts.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 12:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Further to color, we need to be appreciative of the fact that most any source of light other than natural daylight, especially tungsten and incadescent, will affect the color that is recorded by film and by digital cameras. Many old time photographers will recall that special color film was sold for use in incadescent light to correct for color shifts. If we add to this the vagaries of color rendition by variations in PC monitors, and the color shift that may occur to paint pigments as they age and get exposure to various conditions, it's very chancy to reach conclusions about true color by these means.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 12:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm just on my period right now. no hard feelings or worries.

sometimes i just try too hard, sometimes to please everyone.

i know you didn't say anything about my frame i was just being an ass about all the comments about the paint.

sorry about the trouble you had with your paint. mine may actually be the same problem, idk...but if it isn't right...then i'm not taking it back out to correct it. too much trouble. it'll just have to do.

i'm just so ready to drive it and i'm having a bad day anyways, so i'm just being a little too sensitive. like i said i'm on my period apparently. lol

thanks for everyones comments and sorry for being sensitive. i know you guys were just trying to help i'm sure and i just turned into a chick for minute there. my balls have grown back now.

anyways, moving on.

incase it gets skipped over....anyone have that little spring for the fuel filter. i can't seem to find mine.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 12:16
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 105 106 107 (108) 109 110 111 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved