Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Getting folks involved with Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
That's one of the most accurate descriptions of modern, "educational," programmes that I've ever encountered, Packard
V8, and you're right about the younger folks. They seem interested and, perhaps, someday in future when they've actually learned what manufacturing in this country was like until WWII they'll begin to appreciate what we once did in this country until the advent of, "social engineering."

Posted on: 2012/3/1 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I've been involved with my old cars for about 35 years. I acquired my cars, appreciation of older cars, and my modest mechanical ability from having grown up in Pasadena, CA, and living in the San Bernardino area (Yucaipa, CA.). The car culture in the So.Cal., area is huge. I belonged to "Past Pleasures Car Club" in my home city of Yucaipa, CA., and I've been to 100's of car shows through out CA. However, that having been said, I always am amazed at an advertised car show that not only charges an entry fee for the "show car", but also charges the general population an admittance fee to "see" the cars on display. I believe this practice of charging to "see" is counter productive to getting the largest amount of people to see the show and becoming involved with the "old car scene".

Posted on: 2012/3/1 13:38
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't see charging a fee to spectators as being counter-productive when show proceeds benefit charities in the same local area that the spectators live and work in. Many shows are so structured. Several I go to like this allow children in for free and quite a few of us allow kids to sit in the cars, be photographed, and even occasionally take them for rides.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 14:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I know an avid motorcle rider who is involved in local clubs and one thing there group did was put on shows for special needs and underprivaliged children all proceeds from the show benifited the respective groups and was a great program and the shows always had a good turn out maybe some of the packard and classic car clubs could organise something similar

Posted on: 2012/3/1 16:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"the modern educational system has become little more than just a municipal socilaizing agency designed and instilled to dictate to the masses an indoctrination for complete and total dependency of life out of a plastic shopping bag or instructions from a GPS"

As the father of three teachers and the husband of another, I deeply resent such ignorant, inflammatory words. Teaching is to a considerable extent based on the community served and their perception of what teaching should be.

Locally, schools are tasked with addressing social issues as well as reading, writing and arithmetic. When the parents are actively and positively engaged, the student will do well. There are all sorts of programs to aid those who can't or won't apply themselves.

I might add that your classroom will contain 30+ students with considerable variation in ability and motivation. A few will barely speak English. Some will be from ethnic groups that highly value education; others from groups that don't care at all or even dislike education. You'll several that are handicapped in some way, either mentally or physically. One or two will have health issues requiring shots or pills and vigilance from you.

Your job is simple: all you have to do is get them all on the same page and march them together to higher test scores. Should be duck soup for someone with so comprehensive an understanding of what is needed....

Much emphasis is placed on reading and writing skills, because they are the stepping stone to a better education and better communication skills for any career.

Teaching today reminds me of vets during the Vietnam war, who pretty much undeservedly got crapped on by everybody. Now we know better. It's time folks understand that teachers deserve similar respect.

Apologies for the rant, but it seems appropriate here

Posted on: 2012/3/1 21:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Maybe Im to young to take word in this topic and I hope no one will feel insulted after what I have said.But what I see is the dumping down of education, so certain people could exploit later other people. Hard words,but it applies on both sides of the Atlantic ocean. We have lowered education,so it has come to a point of getting a zero value and getting more of being about grades and paper work,then educating the next generation. I have noticed these disturbing matters for year, but as usual, no one gives a damn about it.

What comes to cars, then its hard to make a bolt and screw restores like our fellow man Hank dose in this forum. This is something that has to come from deep within and from the deep interest in the machine(s). What I see is people that want a old car but newer bother to get interested in how it really works or in the past of the vehicle(rarely know where there cars where made).This is the majority of people who have old cars but never have much deep interest in it.
But nothing is hopeless,so I see also a lot of people from my generation that know vehicles bolt by screw and dig deep into the past.
So how dose all this concern of getting a new generation to work with Packards or any other old car? I think unless there is or is not grown a deep interest in these vehicles,
they will be used or seen as daily drivers and traded like once.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 8:10
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jerry
See User information
For myself, the interest has been there forever, but getting the time/space/money gods to align has been the issue...at the age of 46 the best thing I could hope for would be a ride in the back seat of a T/L Packard while going over some bumps....

Jerry /Pittsburgh,PA

Posted on: 2012/3/4 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Being a retired Biology & Chemistry teacher myself I couldn't agree more with PatGreen. For far too long teachers and schools have allowed themselves to become a punching bag for malcontents who haven't set foot in an educational institution for decades and have some inner need to find a convenient political scapegoat for all the ills of society. Schools, like governments, are a reflection of that society. We get the government and schools we deserve, and talk and apathy won't get you much. I'd suggest those dissatisfied with them volunteer and instigate change from within. Perhaps by taking that old car down to the Auto Shop teacher at the Voc Tech and asking how you might get involved you might even affect positive change and get some kids involved in the hobby to boot. You might also gain some much needed understanding of and appreciation for the role of educational
institutions and those that work so hard there in preparing those who will be the citizens that determine the very future of our country.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 12:01
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
My brother teaches auto tech at a local college and I have spoken to him about taking my Packard down to campus. Basicallly it would be a "show-and-tell" kind of thing.

That is because the student has a lesson plan/cirriculum to follow and NONE of the classes teach what is needed for our Packards. The students are there to work on modern cars with EFI, not carburetors. They work on computer chips, not a distributor. What we drive is Old School and the college is there to teach New School.

That is not to say it would not trigger some curiousity with some students. Some may actually want to see a distributor for the first time, but only to see what they need to put on the small block chevy for their street rod they are dreaming about.

My Packard will be in his school this spring when they do and open house as you have to start somewhere.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 12:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
For myself, the interest has been there forever, but getting the time/space/money gods to align has been the issue...at the age of 46 the best thing I could hope for would be a ride in the back seat of a T/L Packard while going over some bumps....

Persevere....I got mine at 70 and love it!!!!!!!!!!!! T/L is the best!

Posted on: 2012/3/4 15:37
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved