Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: vintage insurer experiences?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Myth!
I am not with Allstate and I have 3 vehicles with Hagerty.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 0:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Uncle Bubba
See User information
Another good outfit on the East Coast is Condon & Skelly (New Jersey, but they insure I think everywhere). They broker for an insurance company out of Minnesota. That is one factor; confirm what insurance company actually issues the policy. I've not filed a claim, but friends who have have been satisfied. Anyone who has had a claim is your best advisor here. MCB

Posted on: 2012/3/3 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
For what its worth, I had my car regularly insured as a normally drivable vehicle with USAA (my dad's a vet)and I asked about collector car insurance and they put me in touch with American Collectors Insurance, who currently covers my car. Seems USAA did not write collector car insurance at least when I asked about a year ago. No claims so far. American Collectors didn't give me a hard time about the condition of my car when they wrote the insurance but then I didn't value it very high. I inquired of J.C. Taylor and they were not certain they could cover my car because it was not fully restored and had rust. Give me a break!
Ken

Posted on: 2012/3/3 13:01
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have State Farm antique car--actually I think it called stated value. Never had a claim so don't have any experience in that regard but the premiums are very reasonable--maybe more due to everything else I have being with them--but still way below what I pay for the modern pickup. I looked into JC Taylor for awhile but one reason I was reluctant to continue was because of an umbrella policy I carry. It can get interesting with more than one company involved.

One other thing I'm starting to consider is what constitutes original. I think most of the collector car policies are restrictive there. I actually doubt some of the brake mods being done would qualify. If mine ever gets finished and to the point of being on the road again, it will probably have to go regular to avoid that question.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have Hagerty. Did the policy and renewals completely online. They even give you coverage for spare parts you make have in your garage and or car.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 13:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have 4 cars insured with Condon & Skelly Insurance. This April 4 2012 will be my 15th year. I've had two losses and both claims were taken care of to my satisfaction. I don't know about the other insurers, there is no deductible on any physical loss to a car with C&S...(collision and Fire). I have agreed upon coverage, and I update my car pictures every year to maintain the proof of condition. I don't believe there's a mileage limit because I'm never asked for an annual mileage. IMHO, I guessing all the major players in the antique car insurance market are pretty good to deal with. Hope this helps too..........

Steve......

Edit: Condon and Skelly Insurance is on the East coast and I'm in Vancouver, WA. I do everything by email including sending the annual pictures and paying the annual premium.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 17:24
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
I have used Condon and Skelly for close to 30 years. Originally they used St. Paul Insurance, then a few years ago switched to Metlife and last year,or 2, now using a different company.
Have had two claims,
in that time period. A cracked windshield and a damaged rear bumper due to a bicycle or stroller at a car show. Both claims were promptly settled to my satisfaction. Hope thw new insurer company will be a good.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks all - sounds like several good choices!

re: USAA - does 2 yrs of ROTC in the 60s count?

Posted on: 2012/3/4 12:21
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
...a not "happy" experience.

When I first bought my Packard I drove to my State Farm agent. They took pictures of it and sent it to their underwriter for a price. The price they gave me was "reasonable". ...or so I thought. They asked me the value and I told them, basically what I paid (that was what the price guide was showing). And they were happy. I asked if I would need an appraisal, and they told me "no".

But, they did tell me when they expected me to use it... To and from parades, an ocassional car show, and no recreational driving. very limited use. I seem to recall them telling me under 500 miles a year.

Then three months later, in December, when the car was put away, they called me and told me that I needed to get an appraisal, ASAP. I told them that it would have to wait until spring. They started calling weekly in late February. Well, by end of March I called Haggerty.

My "reasonable" price with State Farm, turned out to be twice the price of Haggerty. Haggerty also told me that I could drive it whenever/wherever, and no mileage limitations.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had two autos and a home insured with State Farm for 18 years. I'm not sure what loyalty gets you these days. I could only imagine my experience if I did have a claim.

Sorry to ramble.

Mark

Posted on: 2012/3/7 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to know about State Farm. They do have some real restrictions -- no question about it -- but then so did JC Taylor when I was with then a short time and their price was about the same. As mentioned, never had a claim on anything old so no experiences. Did have one on a modern car and that was handled well. Maybe it helps to never drive the Packard after all.

If I had a good choice, would probably go to one of the classic car companies. Since I have an umbrella policy to cover some properties, with one of those it gets really interesting when more than one carrier is involved. A classic "it's covered thru them, no it's not" scenario which I can well live without so just keep it all with one. After 40+ years with them too much trouble to go looking elsewhere now.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved