Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Why did Packard never offer a marine version of the 120 engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Anyone know why Packard sold marine versions only of the 245-ci six and 356-ci Su8, but never the 282-ci One-Twenty engine? A 3M engineer in Texas i bought some parts from for my '40 120 in 1975 told me they were still using Packard 120 engines working 24/7 irrigation pumps down there, governors set at 1800 or 2000 rpm.

BTW, in 1940, Augie Duesenberg was offering a marine version of the 254-ci Hudson splash-oiled straight 8.

Chris Craft runabouts used either a Chrysler flathead six, Packard 245-ci flathead six, or Gray Marine flathead six.

I don't think Buick offered either the small or large ohv straight eight as a marine version. Perhaps they didn't need the business, or the babbitt bearings retained through '48 were too expensive on overhaul?

But the Packard 1935-47 Packard One-Twenty 282-ci engine, as we know, was and is a good, dependable, husky engine. Did Packard figure it was superfluous, given the 245-ci six's durable, thriftier power? Or maybe it wouldn't take the sustained full-power flogging the marine six would, which was also used in severe taxi service.

?

Posted on: 2012/3/10 6:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Why did Packard never offer a marine version of the 120 engine?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 282 engine derived from the 257 in what, 1937? In that year Packard had their hands full building the most cars they would ever build in a year, and at that time I don't recall that Packard had a active program in commercial marine engines. By 1939 they were already involved in planning for war production for aviation and marine engines. The availability of the IM-245 and 356 was announced in February 1947 at which time the 282 was already slated for discontinuation in a few months, with the 356 to follow by 1950 and even then with very low production volume. With a long, prior presence in the marine engine business I suspect Packard saw an opportunity to utilize space and manpower no longer needed for war production, revive their presence in marine activities, and also saw an opportunity to further amortize the cost of the tooling for these soon to be discontinued engines. Just my own speculation.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 9:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The 282 engine derived from the 257 in what, 1937?

My notes show the original One Twenty had a 257-ci enigne, but increased to 282-ci in 1936. Parts books show common details between the two, including same pistons/bore, but different cranks. This suggests the two used same basic block, but engineers simply increased stroke to achieve greater displacement.

That aside, I'm a land-lubber, but perhaps the use of six-cylnder engines in the ChrisCraft might have been due to limitations of space and weight.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 10:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Brian & O_D,

You are correct. In 1936 Packard enlarged the displacement of their new monoblock 8-cylinder engine from 257 to 282 cubic inches by increasing the stroke from 3 7/8" to 4 1/4" leaving the bore at 3 1/4".

(o[]o)

Edited to add O_D to correct oversight in response.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 12:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thanks, but most of us here gathered know the debut 120 was the same bore/stroke as Oldsmobile's straight 8, the same state of the art as the concurrent Pontiac straight 8, only, somehow, v a s t l y better than either or anything else. I resurrected, owned, drove one many years, witness my exchange with the 3M engineer. But i was asking a general question, not offering a thesis, so typed "282" simply as it applied to all the rest of that engine's production.

Cardinal Dyneto, that's as good a conjecture as i can figure. Thanks. Perhaps that's all there is to it. With the new 282-based, even tougher 288 & 327 introduced for the bathtubs, Packard may've figured the 282 had had its day, on land and water.

I wonder if any 120 engines were converted privately, or by some small firm, a la Augie Duesenberg's purveying the 254-ci Hudson splash-oiled straight eight?

And i still wonder why Buick never offered either its small or large ohv straight 8 in marine guise.

Chrysler built, proportionally, few 323-ci straight eights in relation to their inline sixes. That, and perhaps Mopar didn't bother with the smaller pleasure boat market for the reason BH cites above. Packard's marine 356 powered big cabin cruisers, fishing trawlers.

What's that they used to say about Camelot? "....for one brief, shining moment..." That was Packard, but for nearly half a century. No offense, but my interest fizzles out w/ the bathtubs and beyond, tho' a Mayfair coupe with stick and od is one of the best '50s cars extant, for those of you who enjoy postwar automobiles. Personally, i view my '47 as just a warmed over '42, not that that's a bad thing at all.

Interesting that even as Packard lay dying, they brought over Mercedes-Benz, the North American distribution rights.
Ironically, people who have no trouble comprehending Mercedes C, E, S Class and BMW 3, 5, 7 Series, can't grasp six, eight, Super 8, but that's another thread.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 19:44
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved