Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

overdrive for a 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I recently purchased a 49 junior series car out of the junkyard. The 288 engine is all intact with all of the accessories, even down to the original style radiator hose clamps and fabric wire on the spark plugs. It has apparently been sitting for a long time, and does not run, but still had relatively clean oil in the pan, and antifreeze in the radiator. I intent to mothball the engine to save it for my 51 200.

Questions:
1. Should I flush the antifreeze and add new, or just drain it entirely?
2. It has a 3 speed with overdrive. Can this unit be retrofitted to my 39 120, with does not have one now?
3. I have the engine and transmission out, and will remove the driveshaft tomorrow. Do I need to pull the rear end as a replacement for the 39?
The deal I made with the junkyard is that I would strip off what I needed and return the frame and body to them for further salvage or crushing. Right now the car is in a friend's pasture, but he wants it out in a week or so. thanks

Posted on: 2012/3/14 21:17
 Top  Print 

Re: overdrive for a 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
David Grubbs: 1 drain
2 yes
3 no
Saltydog

Posted on: 2012/3/14 22:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Since your non-overdrive '39 120 has a 4.36:1 rear axle, and the overdrive junior tub likely a 4.1, as long as you're in the neighborhood and whatever you don't salvage is going to the Pacific Rim to become rebar, take the bathtub's pumpkin home with you. It's really hard to overgear a Packard, IMHO.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 3:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Just some food for thought- I put an R11 OD unit in my 38 jr coupe and with 700R 15 tires 2500 RPM gives me 66MPH and that's with the standard 4:36 rear end. Right now my car has good driving power and I rarely have to "shift" out of OD for driving but with a 4:1 rear you MIGHT be going in and out of OD frequently if you live in hilly country.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 6:38
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David,

I would not leave the Packard without antifreeze in the system. An empty system will rust fast. I would drain and refill with a good quality antifreeze that has rust inhibitors in it. Get the old green type not the new extended life stuff.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/15 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks to all for the responses. The O/D unit is a R 11 I think, as the solenoid is on the driver side. I will probably pull the axle if I can find a place to stash it. The engine and transmission just ate up all of the spare space in the garage.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 11:55
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved