Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Roland Irle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: A thought-provoking question for legality re: my business name...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information

Posted on: 2012/3/24 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
O-D, if our fellow posters will abide our momentary digression, how fortunate you are to have bought your lovely '34 club sedan from the late Roland M. Crawford.
Surely, this is as close to buying from a real Packard dealer, or even going to the Detroit factory on East Grand and taking delivery yourself.

Never met Mr. Crawford, just enjoyed his wonderful character actor's voice over the phone when i ordered parts for my '40 120 back in 1974-76. I still have the reply on his splendid letterhead to my enquiry for a Packard just a week or two before i found my '40 120 not three blocks from where i then lived.

It's dated 7/13/74:

"Sir:-

Reference your letter, Packard wanted.

I have the following:

1940-120 Packard sedan, sidemounted, trunkrack,
excellent interior, presently registered, running,
and with current Massachusetts Inspection. Needs
work on Running Boards, and fenders. Engine, good.

$2500.00 "

A longtime Packardite out here in California, Doug Judy, told me Mr. Crawford worked for a lumberyard, whose owner gave him his tired '41 One-Eighty sedan. In the course of looking for parts for that car, Roland Crawford wound up starting Packard Parts Unlimited. Wonder what became of Mr. Crawford's 180, and the above 120?

BTW, sportsfans, the price above is two thousand, five hundred dollars.

Thanks for the memories on this rainy Saturday afternoon, O_D.

Now back to the garage to wax the wax on my '47 Super Clipper, delivered new in San Luis Obispo, always garaged, its entire life in Kaleefornyuh, as a recent governor pronounced it. I imagine Jack Palance did much of his own work on his '47 Super in that Prestone commercial, which is how he managed those one-arm push ups at the Oscars.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 17:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
su8overdrive: I did buy parts for the 34 from Roland, but the car itself I bought from the original owner, a Ms. Rita S. Kittinger of Brooklyn, NY.

As to Roland, yes it's a fond memory. I now look on him as the great, great grandfather of the Packard support network we enjoy today.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 17:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
I own the trademark for my webzine and getting it from someone whose sole reason for having it was to withhold it from me was a little bit of a battle and took four years.

No disrespect meant for those providing these long answers, but unless they are patent and trademark attorneys they don't know what the hell they're talking about and this isn't something that should be asked here - this is something you need to discuss with a patent and trademark attorney in private. Patents and Trademarks are a specialized practice and even licensed attorneys that don't work in patent and trademark work can give you really bad advice as I know all too well.

Spend and hour and a few hundred bucks to confer with a patent and trademark attorney. He'll sit down at his computer, hit a few keys, read for about twenty seconds and then tell you in no uncertain terms how and when, if you can, you can use the name Packard.

Believe me, it's money and time well spent.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 10:25
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AJ
See User information
The Packard Club registered those Packard trademarks to protect them for all of us in the hobby.

Any questions regarding those trademarks should be directed to;

Bud Juneau
VP Publications
The Packard Club
cbjphoto@dslextreme.com

Posted on: 2012/3/26 23:28
If it burns fuel and makes noise. I want to see it.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm more inclined to believe that the full truth can be found with US Patents and Trademarks Office, as I suggested in my previous post in this thread - especially with the aid of independent, qualified legal counsel.

Meanwhile, I decided to do a little more digging for Packard trademarks, and I'll share some of registration details, courtesy of live links to a third-party source.

Maybe I didn't get 'em all, but I could only find THREE registrations for "PACKARD AUTOMOBILE CLASSICS, INC.". Of course, there's the previously cited example for clothing:

http://tmhound.com/78706402.htm

...but also a specific script for their magazines, news bulletins, and decals:

http://tmhound.com/78576639.htm

...and a specific crest, also for their magazines, news bulletins, and decals:

http://tmhound.com/78584530.htm

Yet, PAC isn't the only party who registered the stylized Packard word or script for clothing or printed matter - though some of those registrations have since been cancelled or abandoned. Search the trademark database at the USPTO, yourself, and see.

However, the point I was trying to make in my previous post is that trademarks have to be unique and for a specific use/market - that PAC's rights are not without limit.

As an example, here's a registration of a variation on the Packard script for use in freight transport by truck (S/N 74561643):

http://tmhound.com/74561643.htm

I found many other examples of registered Packard scripts with design even closer to the original, but for use in non-competing markets.

For the sake of nostalgia, here's the old trademark formerly registered by Packard Electric:

http://tmhound.com/71212023.htm

...which is, in itself, is a variation of that used by the PMCC.

However, Delphi still maintains a Packard trademark for spark plug wires and cables:

http://tmhound.com/73559076.htm

...though no online image was available.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Truckmen:

Best wishes on your new venture.

Go ahead and use any name you like. The Packard script was a standard font from the period and all you have to do to avoid any potential hassle is change it a little.

I worked for somebody who had the Packard crest on their business stationary and, as I recall, Turnquist used it on Classic Cars Inc, as well as Skop on his SCCI business. Nobody made any noise.

Anybody who makes a fuss over something like that should go find a more important thing to fight about, although I have dealt with my share of old car schmucks and cuckoo birds. And forget about lawyers except for something meaningful otherwise they will feel that your willingness to waste money is an invitation for white collar crime.

I would recommend however, to maximize your customer base you may wish to give the Packard part second billing. What if you are overlooked by someone who likes Cadillac V-16's?

The one fellow I recall who was able to really specialize in a single brand was Roy Wilson because he was the absolute best with the early Rolls.

Also, keep in mind that some of these car nuts didn't get their money by being nice and that they may look at you as being another mark to be made. Not everybody is like that. Noel Thompson was a good customer for several shops.
However, I knew one very good restorer who went down under the thumb of a nut. His defense lawyer didn't understand that these are not cars, they are horseless carraiges and so not always subject to typical rules of expectations.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 18:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved