Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 261

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power steering filter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi guys,

Any help in locating a new power steering filter for a '54 Patrician would be appreciated! I know eBay has one, but I tried it and it doesn't fit...and Kanter wants $55, maybe there's another source?

Posted on: 2012/7/18 12:44
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Power steering filter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall, the regular filter is rather large but perhaps Max has found that a suitable aftermarket replacement doesn't need to be that big. 55-6 versions are much smaller than 52-4 in what is essentially an identical PS system. His item is listed at $15.00 but perhaps some questions are in order to verify the size and mount. I would wonder about how it is held in position. Perhaps a longer spring or a spacer??

Attach file:

jpg  (16.21 KB)
209_5006f6da3cde8.jpg 1090X111 px

Posted on: 2012/7/18 12:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Bobby:

The new substitute filters have to be adapted using spacers and what not.

If modern cars had filters then 90% of the repairs being made would not be required. Having a filter is good. Reusing a good old one will get by because it is a closed system and big enough to allow plenty of flow.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 16:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hi from Pflugerville, TX: Because my 54 Cavalier has power steering, I dug through the 54 car file and found this information, hope it is hepful. Restoring the power steering is my next project after the electric windows!!

For 54 Packard: PS Filter--Hastings HF-783

Posted on: 2013/1/8 17:25
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks, Larry! Beware, the variable isn't so much the exterior dimensions of the filter, but the diameter of the mounting hole, I've gone thru 2 now that said they fit '54, but don't.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 11:06
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved