Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Dear Packard People:

How much leather will it take to upholster a 1949 Packard 4 door--just the seats and door panels?????

Thanking you in advance for your replies.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi

I did mine about a year ago. I wasnt told how much, but the seats are quite large and the front seats needs to be covered on the back as well. I am no expert but would guess at least 4 big hides?

Posted on: 2012/7/31 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You do realize this is not an authentic fitment I trust.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Africapackard.
Since u're in Africa then what kind of other hides are plentiful and maybe cheap in that location???? Elephant, rhino, hippo or maybe even very nice fur hides???? Maybe very large snake skins???? Not sure how well snake skin would hold up to wear tho.

Enlighten us.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 15:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
While you're at it, make sure to mount a huge pair of steer horns in place of the hood ornament, and one of those hot rod skull gearshift knobs. You'll also want to lower the car, put on some chrome mag wheels, perhaps replace the Packard engine with a rare Chevy V-8. And make sure you get enough large metalflake in the paint. None of
that subtle luminescent jazz. Metalflake, perhaps lollipop red, tangerine, purple, lime green. Don't forget the flames, scallops, pinstriping!

And get rid of that factory radio and install a boom box,
the louder the better.

Whoa, yeah.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Brutal, guy (4 posts at that) asks a simple question, and gets attacked. Way to be inclusive, guys

Posted on: 2012/7/31 18:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ray -

I don't think PackardV8's post was intended as any sort of attack. I've known him for years, and I believe he's actually serious about the possible use of exotic hides for interior trim.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I've heard that those who need to condescend are typically pretty inadequate. Be thankful you're not them.

In answer to your question, you'd need to measure the interior panels: Front seat cushion (bottom, back rest, seat back), rear seat, four door panels...and then call your retailer (I like Bill Hirsch in Newark NJ, for both leather and original wool broadcloth)...they will send samples. He'll take the measurements and determine square footage...remember they will add for waste.

You have a great car, enjoy it!

Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:34
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Most leather upholstered cars these days have leather only on the seating surface. Door panels and the sides and backs of the seats are made of matching vinyl. This is a considerable saving.

It is not hard to calculate by measuring the various parts of the seats and calculating the square footage. There is quite a bit of waste in leather upholstery because the material does not come in convenient square sheets like vinyl.

At a rough guess I would say 15 square meters for full seat and door panel job.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I must have missed something here along the way.
However condescending and inadequate are some of the nicer things i've been called this month.

Either way, as BH indicates above i was serious about the question of various hydes that mite be available abroad for automotive use.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 22:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved