Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
49 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Dear Sa8overdrive,

Thank you for your comments. Being a long time resident of Texas and also of Mexico I can understand your suggestions.

Bad taste and the execution of it has been a hallmark of both countries if one is inclined to only accept and promulgate gross stereotyping.

Somehow small amounts of good taste and the desire to enhance outstanding products such as the 1949 Packard continue to survive such descriptive onslaughts.

Your amusing suggestions were enjoyable.

Sincerely,
Zougeride

Posted on: 2012/8/7 11:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Dear Bobby, Rusty O/'Toole, Packard V8, 58L134, Ross, Africapackard,

Also to all others who respondend thank you for your replies.

As I proceed with my project of making my 1949 Packard a good, clean, safe, and leather upholstered driver I will use as many of your constructive comments as possible.

Now, on to the next issue of cranking up one of the best brands of cars to hit the road.

Thanks again,

Zougeride

Posted on: 2012/8/7 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Cousin Zougeride-- De nada. We like what we like. Decades ago, i briefly pondered a leather interior in a closed Packard. Believe me, i understand what you're doing and am no stranger to tasteful upgrades. Tho' usually inclined to shrug off what others will do, the suggestion of one poster, seemingly sincere, to use elephant hides,
ay yi yi.

Here we are, preserving fine old automobiles, only to upholster them with the skin of remarkably intelligent, highly social, and endangered fellow creatures? I like to think Packard folk are a cut above that. Leave that to the Kadillackers. I urge any and all to Google or YouTube "elephants painting."

That, and given that 1948-50 Packards were often called "pregnant elephants" in the day and since, well, that's just six ways to Sunday tasteless.

A friend has the optional leather interior in his '36 Cord 810 Westchester (sedan). Whenever we take that barouche out for a spin ---usually because we're tinkering with it but that's a Cord for you-- it really doesn't feel luxe as you might imagine.
And it smells like a giant version of the Al Kaline first baseman's glove i had as a lad. A mite overpowering.

There are many quietly elegant, uber tasteful alternatives to the get-them-out-the-door mouse fur and other fabrics Packards and other high end automobiles used.
One of the most elegant old road cars i ever saw was a silver gray '36 Lincoln K Willoughby sport sedan. The entire interior, including headliner, door panels, seat back, everything, upholstered in ultra thick English broadcloth. A symphony in gray.

In 1941, Buick and Cadillac offered whipcord that wore like iron in their open models for those who didn't want leather.
A friend with a beautifully done black '41 Cad convertible coupe had the interior redone back in 1971 with
an ultra thick, heavy, burgundy hide of the nauga. He says it's no longer available today. But i find that hard to believe, and who knows what's available south of the border. I wouldn't give a dime for any Cadillac, but his looks magnificent, identical to leather, though without the stench, which gets real old after awhile.

Saw a '35 or '36 Duesenberg SJ roadster delivered new to an Indian rajah with hide of the nauga. Similarly a Lagonda V-12 Rapide. Other upscale English cars in the mid '30s and beyond had such and you'd never know it from animal skin.

So look before you leap. 'Course, i'm 100% on the Dr. Joel Fuhrman/Bill Clinton vegan diet for a number of reasons; better health than i've ever had, impossible to pack on extra pounds, enjoying more relaxed energy than ever, requiring less sleep, and i'd like to be around a few more centuries to play with my car. There are Iron Men marathoners, NBA,NFL players on this diet.
I read in The New Yorker several years ago that Ingrid Newkirk, president of PETA, is a bigtime Formula One fan.
Visit YouTube to watch a pair of brief vids. In one, "Bill Clinton, Fan of Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. MD," which runs three minutes, eight seconds, Clinton shares his experiences with fellow heart surgery survivor Dave Letterman. In another, "Bill Clinton became a vegan, lost 24 lbs...." which runs only 2:29, he shares insight with Wolf Blitzer.

Trust my fellow Packardites will forgive this wee divergence. But we've lost too many old friends in this hobby who'd still be with us, had they heeded the above.
Oh -- i also lost 24 -- actually 27 lbs--- in addition to the 100+ lbs. i jettisoned from my '47 Super Clipper. Weight is the enemy of any serious road car, regardless how luxurious.

Take care.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 15:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved