Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 45

William Grosz, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: '66 Packard Model Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
We still have to remember the full-sized 1999 Centennial Packard built by Packard Motor Car Company of Phoenix, AZ. I've got a brochure on it and have been to their website. It is an interesting car but just does not have the style of the original, classic, Packard.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/7/29 22:24
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Just got the "Bat" signal...

Agreed, the great Virgil Ex seemed to go off the deep end for a short spell. He seemed to be coming back around about the time he was let go from Chrysler. Wish they would have kept him, some of his futuristic ideas were spot on, like the return of the classic grill and crisp, nicely tailored sheetmetal.

Here are a few quick attempts at reworking the grill. I like his C-pillar design, seems to capture Packard's styling verve of yore.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.28 KB)
2060_502c02f53e31f.jpg 584X180 px

jpg  (15.32 KB)
2060_502c02ffd7d1c.jpg 584X180 px

jpg  (15.31 KB)
2060_502c030cc50a0.jpg 584X180 px

jpg  (15.54 KB)
2060_502c031911954.jpg 584X180 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I like your idea of making the grille full-height, and appearing above and below the bumper bar.

However, go back to the "Revival" Cars site, and take a look at the last image of the '66. Never mind the squatty aspect, Exner's grill seems disproportionately wide, compared to the rest of the front end.

Not sure what the brightwork flanking the main grille is supposed to be. Perhaps turn signals, but that location is a bit out of sight for anything other than head-on traffic.

I think the circles at either end of the upper valance were intended to represent concealed headlights - similar to Porsche 928. Guessing that the corresponding ports in the lower bumper valance, then, might be fog or driving lamps.

Wondering if it's possible to narrow the grill up a bit and keep it forward, but just behind the full-height center bar (for practicality) - yet, fit within Exner's lighting configuration.

Then, if possible, perhaps the center of the bumper bar could break away from the near straight path across the front of the car and follow the angled contour of the grille.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Hi BH,

Sorry for the delayed response, forgot to set my notification on. Yes, absolutely agree with your observations regarding lighting scheme and location, and grill. Here's another attempt that tries to incorporate your suggestions. For practicality, I "Lincoln-ized" the area flanking the grill to allow for headlight doors. Either this or exposed quads may have been the only option. Perhaps Exner's free-standing Imperial lights of a few years earlier might have looked right nestled in this space.

If one ever wanted to build such a car, the Stutz revival car might be a good starting point.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.37 KB)
2060_503a1a42848eb.jpg 584X180 px

Posted on: 2012/8/26 7:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I had no expectation of immediate action, but I appreciate the time you took to consider my suggestions. It's not easy to convey what's seen by only the mind's eye, but you done good.

The grille looks much better - just gotta work in the traditional ox-yoke line across the top. The Lincoln headlamp treatment fits in, but is a bit ahead of its time for '66. Instead of concealed headlamps or exposed quads, they might have considered reverting to a pair of large round sealbeams - like GM would do with the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc. and Chrysler, with the Cordoba.

To retain Exner's orginal, laid-back, upper valance panel and concealed headlamps treatment with this forward-thinking grille, the car would have needed some sort of nosecone or radiator shell and side panels (all in body color) behind the grille. There's no shortage of front-end room to work with, there. However, those funky chrome-plated rectangular parts would likely be needed to fill the void to fenders. I also agree that Exner's valance treatment would have made a good home for something like the standalone headlamps from the 61-63 Imperial, but one large round unit on each side - in keeping with the neo-classic style.

As for a foundation car. The Pontiac Grand Prix, from 69-72 and 73-77 provided a good platform for the Stutz Blackhawk (seehttp://www.madle.org/ebh.htm). Some people hate those cars, but I found them interesting, compared to the generally bland styling that would come out of Detroit in the decades that followed.

However, though 13 model years later, I'm thinking that the 79-85 Eldorado, Riviera, or Toronado would provide a natural starting point for building the Exner Packard. Still, except for the "greenhouse", a lot of sheet metal fabrication would be required to duplicate Exner's lines.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
THANK GOD that Packard went the way of the dodo before they put there name on that turd! It looks like a '63 Vette and a '85 Buick Regal had a baby! And then found the two worst colors of green to put on it! Awesome peace of Packard history that I had not know about tho! Thanks for sharing!

Posted on: 2012/8/26 9:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Really? Then, I can only imagine what you'll think of the Packards built by Bayliff of Lima, Ohio from 1978-92 (seehttp://www.madle.org/ebayliff.htm).

Posted on: 2012/8/26 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
BH WOW...The old "Cruella Diville" Style maroon one is one of the coolest ones I have EVER seen! The new one that was dark Red with grafix on the side was ok gut it could do without the grafix IMHO. Now the rest....The Grey one looks like an old Toranado with a RR grill. The White one looks like an old Monti Carlo with a spare tire and HUGE tail-lights. Last and for sure least, was the blue one that looks like a mid 70's Lincoln Towncar (I had one, bought it for the 460CI but drove it for a while) with a RR grill and go-cart bumper extender! From the looks of it Packard died in its prime, like Marilyn Monro, we get to remember them at there BEST, not see them overtaken by "The next big thing" only to become sad and un-relateable. Instead, they are both still legends, admired by the masses!

Posted on: 2012/8/26 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Great suggestion on the late 70s B/O/C coupes. One can see the lasting influence Ex had. The interiors were also of a level of quality more befitting a Packard unlike GM cars of the late 60s/early 70s. I tried a quickie on the Riv. The problem is the front wheel drive proportions. Looking at the hood of Ex's rendering, one can almost fit a side mounted spare wheel between the front wheel housing and the front door. My Riv mod moved the front wheels closer to the front bumper and added almost a foot to the front axle-to-firewall to get the proportions closer to Ex's vision. Agreed, the 69-72 Grand Prix would be the best platform to work with.

Bill Michell's 1977 Pontiac Phantom included a nice way to integrate headlights into a rearward sloping valence and protruding nose. The one idea I can't warm up to is the large single headlight theme, think it helped torpedo the Stutz Blackhawk revival cars and Bayliff efforts. Just a personal preference. Ex included hidden headlights into his '66 Duesy so this solution was very much on his mind at the time, could have just as easily found its way into the Packard. Lincoln's design studio jumped on the idea immediately, if they hadn't already been considering it. The '69 Mark III would have been coming together in the studio in '65 or '66.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.20 KB)
2060_503aa7057dad0.jpg 733X199 px

jpg  (52.35 KB)
2060_503aa7372aecb.jpg 1109X441 px

jpg  (49.71 KB)
2060_503abdd7b39d1.jpg 1109X441 px

Posted on: 2012/8/26 17:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nice execution on the Riv. Since it's FWD on a perimeter frame, might be able to do a stretch, but have to be mindful of the torsion bar front suspension (similar to that of a modern 4WD truck). I had an 84 Riviera for a few years; though long on looks (inside and out), it was short on durability, and the Olds 307 powerteam was a dog.

Was not previously aware of that Pontiac Phantom concept, but just checked Google images and am in awe. IMHO, GM styling was reached its peak under Mitchell - pretty much downhill since. BTW, Bill Mitchell had attended grade school, briefly in my hometown. Legend has it that that when caught drawing in his notebook instead of paying attention to the lesson, his teacher scolded him - saying, "Bill, you're never going to amount to anything if you don't stop doodling!"

I was fortunate enough to see the one and only 66 Duesenberg, many years ago, when it was displayed at the A-C-D Museum in Auburn, IN. It was stunning. Looking at it again (seehttp://www.madle.org/edues.htm), I see what you mean about the headlamp treatment - even fits in with my idea of a nosecone for the Packard grille.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 20:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved