Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

greybeard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Synthetic oil in straight eight Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Has anyone used synthetic oil in a straight eight Packard? It seems to me it would be a good idea. The long stroke engine creates quite a bit of friction and wear on the cylinders, so they should get even more benefit than short stroke engines.

The one I am thinking about is a 1954 Patrician. The engine was taken apart, all sludge and dirt cleaned out, and overhauled a few years ago but still has the original pistons, rings, valves, and hydraulic lifters.

Would like to change to synthetic unless someone knows a good reason not to?

Posted on: 2012/8/6 14:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Synthetic oil in straight eight Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi Rusty,

Fellow '54 Pat owner here, would love to see a pic and chat more! Flick me a PM...

I run Rotella T 15w-40 with good results. I looked into syn and decided against it....if you go to bobistheoilguy.com..a site that appeals to the truly fanatical...you'll see that the diff btw'n dino and syn is really negligible and not worth either the add'l cost, nor using something that the car wasn't designed for.

Being a straight 8 wouldn't cause a problem..neither would the bore/stroke, the 359 is an understressed engine... but the original rings allow more blow by, which the additives in a higher detergency oil (like Rotella T or Delvac)are better at dispersing.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 17:43
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Have made a deal for the car but have not taken delivery. The seller is supposed to deliver it.

Once I have it, will post serial numbers and pictures.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I put Synthetic Mobile 1 in my '40 356 earlier this year, but soon found out that it tends to leak by the gaskets quite easily. As mentioned, it's really a waste of money, as the engine doesn't need it. I recently read an article on oils, and basically it said that even today's high-performance cars don't need it, unless being used in the aggressive way for which they were designed. In other words, if you drive your Porsche or Corvette in a respectful way, and are not constantly spinning the tires, you're perfectly fine using regular oil.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 20:14
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Rusty O\'Toole wrote:...The one I am thinking about is a 1954 Patrician....Have made a deal for the car but have not taken delivery...Once I have it, will post serial numbers and pictures.
Rusty,

Congratulations and thanks for remembering the Packard Owner's Registry

Posted on: 2012/8/7 2:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with West, the major benefit of the synthetic is it's ability to allow extended oil change intervals which isn't really a benefit in limited use cars where the oil is best changed annually regardless of miles, or at least at shorter chronological intervals rather than mileage intervals. And yes, it does tend to leak at places that regular motor oil doesn't. As far as lubrication properties, it should perform just fine.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The only thing I have used synthetic in so far is my air compressor. It now starts a lot easier runs smoother and pumps up faster. I was surprised how much difference it made.

This led me to wonder if a long stroke motor, which has a lot of friction and wear in the upper cylinder area, would benefit as well.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 11:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to think in terms of trying a syn/blend. Ford Motor Co. mandates a synthetic/blend for my Lincoln in order for the warranty to remain in force. Can't say I understand why, but I do it.

In any case I'd avoid the very low viscosity synthetics, they're designed for modern engines with ultra-precise machining and tolerances, and the manufacturer's love them because they help increase fuel efficiency. But we don't have that kind of precision in our older engines. I'd stick with the viscosities recommended by Packard for your anticipated temperatures, synthetic, syn/blend, or natural. If you do go with a synthetic, keep an eye on your rear main bearing seal, that's often the first place that leakage appears.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
The only thing I have used synthetic in so far is my air compressor.

Rusty, that sounds like a good idea. My compressor requires a ND 30 oil. Exactly what did you use?

Posted on: 2012/8/7 18:16
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Synthetic is great for the newer cars. It is so good, that it leaks right through the seals on the older classics. Especially, the rope seals. There are a couple oils on the market currently, Pensoil High Milage being one of them, not synthetic, that work great on the older engines. After all, we don't need to drive 7000 miles on our classics with the same oil!

Posted on: 2012/9/22 23:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved