Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 76

Sharkey, BigKev, Packard51, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wow! Have seen some worn clutch assys but don't recall ever seeing one quite that bad. At least you found the reason for the engine doing 60mph and the car doing 10.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 14:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
wowza!

Posted on: 2012/9/12 14:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Wow! Have seen some worn clutch assys but don't recall ever seeing one quite that bad. At least you found the reason for the engine doing 60mph and the car doing 10.

cli55er wrote:
wowza!

Right! I can't tell you how glad I am that the clutch disk itself is so worn. I was worried I'd find oil leaking on to the assembly. I wonder if someone was learning how to drive in her, or if it was from the 1/4 mile my brother drove her. He may be a more experienced driver than I am, but when it comes to driving a standard I think I have the upper hand. LOL!

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/9/12 14:57
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
GearRat, That is an impressive clutch assembly. Looks like you will need a complete kit. Nothing there worth saving. All new parts (pilot and release bearings, disc, and pressure plate) and flywheel refacing will help to assure you will not have to do this job again, at least not very soon. Do it right the first time.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
GearRat52 wrote:...The throw-out bearing seems to be fine, still have to figure out where my pilot bearing went. As you can see, the pressure plate face has a little groove in it, probably be able to get it machined. The clutch disk appears to be in re-build able condition.

Next step is to get the flywheel off to be re-surfaced...
Garrett,

Check the throw-out bearing by cleaning it up and rotating it with finger pressure. Should be smooth with no bumps! Saying that I'd still opt for a new bearing, better to be safe.

What do you mean by "have to figure out where my pilot bearing went"?

Think you'd be better off with new pressure and clutch plates. Think there should be interchanges from commonly available parts. Someone more experienced(Ross?) may be able to advise.

Before you take the flywheel off make sure you mark it and the crank so it goes back on the same way it came off. Otherwise if put back on in a different position it will affect the balance of the rotating assembly of the engine!

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

Hey Mal!

When I got my clutch out, the pilot bearing didn't come out with it. Maybe it fell when I took out the assembly, but I looked under the car and didn't see it. I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow and find out where it went.

Will a newer style clutch like this preform less smoothly than the Packard clutch? This one has 5 springs, where the one off mine has 8.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/9/12 16:30
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
GearRat, Strongly recommend you get a new release bearing. While it may seem to be okay now, the garage gods will take action to make sure that it starts making noise just as soon as you finish the job. If you don't believe me, just ask Murphy.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/12 16:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

GearRat52 wrote:
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

Hey Mal!

When I got my clutch out, the pilot bearing didn't come out with it. Maybe it fell when I took out the assembly, but I looked under the car and didn't see it. I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow and find out where it went.

-Garrett

I believe the pilot bearing generally stays stuck in the crankshaft recess -- particularly if it hasn't been removed in ages. If it appears in good condition, be careful if removing. IIRC, Fred Kanter said 51-4 pilot bearings are special size Packard only and not generally available at the parts store. Believe there was a poster recently who turned a bushing out of brass instead of getting another ball bearing. Know he had some other issues with the car & don't remember hearing how that finally worked out.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 16:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Garrett,

I believe one of the "common" brands, either Chev or Ford will fit but, as I said, will leave that to others more experienced in those matters. The raw measurements, ie, clutch disc diameter together with input shaft diameter and number of splines will give you a guide.

All good advice from John and Howard. Personally I'd opt for a new throw-out bearing and with that you'll have to press the old bearing off the collar and the new one on but it'll give peace of mind.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 17:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Quick question, is the spline diameter 1-1/16" on the trans input shaft?

Posted on: 2012/10/17 13:43
Garrett

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved