Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel grade question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
What grade/octane does everyone use?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 21:54
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel grade question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I don't think any of the straight eights need premium from the perspective of compression ratio/knock. Possibly the additives offer some significant advantage, though I have never seen it.

Senior V8s generally can profit from the higher octane stuff although our club has several V8 owners that insist on the cheapest regular in a fifty mile radius. Most are partly deaf, which I do not regard as a coincidence.

Premium is said to hold up better in storage, as in for the winter.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I use hi-test, the 56 374 engine has 10:1 compression ratio.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think any of the straight eights need premium from the perspective of compression ratio/knock

I'd make one exception to Pat's statement above; the 54 "359" engine at 8.7/1 generally wants premium or at least mid-range gasoline, and even more so if the cylinder head has been replaced with a 327 or 288 head.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I agree completely. Clearly I have spent too much time with the regular only group....

Posted on: 2012/8/15 9:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I run the the alcohol free premium from the local BP station.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 17:16
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I use the high octane, especialy summerin the PAckard V8 and Indian (low compression engine too). Prefer SHell but often use BP and alot of Marathon. Of course next year or 5 years from now i mite find that some other brand runs better. The alcohol free is always "sold out" around here. Everything else i use the cheapest.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 20:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
According to the petroleum engineers handbook inaudible detonation results in accelerated motor wear. So I would refer to the owners manual and use at least what they recommend. Modern car knock sensors can monitor spark and bearing knock below threshold and the computer control retard timing accordingly.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The rule is your octane should look like your compression ratio. In other words if your compression ratio is below 8.7:1 use 87 octane regular. If your compression is 9.2:1 or higher, use high octane 92. If your compression ratio is 10:1 you can't get 100 octane anymore except at an airport so you may need octane boost.

Naturally this is just a guide, not a hard and fast rule. As others pointed out, flathead engines with high compression engines need more octane than OHV engines with the same compression. This only applies to the last year or 2 of flathead Packards, the earlier models had compression of under 8:1 and do fine on regular. Some engines need more octane than others, even with the same compression ratio.

You have to use your own judgement. Try different brands of gas and see which one your car likes best. If it starts easier, runs smoother and has more pep on one brand, that is the one to use.

There is NO advantage to using high octane gas if you do not have a high compression motor. A low compression motor will actually start easier, run better and cooler, and make more power on low octane fuel because that is what it is designed for. Some very low compression engines from the twenties and thirties, actually run better if you add some diesel or kerosene to the gas.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
For 1951 Packard was recommending high octane for the engines with Ultramatic and regular for manual transmission cars. By 1954 they recommended premium for everything; the 288, 327, 359 and the V-8.

How did they make these recommendations? They drilled and tapped knock sensors into the block, took the car out on the test track, and recorded the knock readings on special meters inside the car. Or they did it on a dyno. Or both.

The reason modern cars generally run great on regular is because a computer controlled engine retards the timing to accommodate the grade of gasoline. And the owner's manuals will sometimes state that optimum performance will be achieved with higher octane, but that regular is acceptable.

Now those old gasolines used tetraethyl lead which was a very effective, and cheap, anti knock compound. I don't know what the octane ratings were in those days, but I'm sure they can be found. However, the octane number methods are subject to change.

Suffice it to say the Packard owners manual is the appropriate source for deciding what grade of gasoline to buy. Notwithstanding that the cars burn so much of it.

I wouldn't tell somebody to disregard that recommendation.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 16:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved