Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Throw out bearing spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I am missing this spring on my clutch assembly. Standard 3 speed without overdrive.

Where should this attach to the throwout bearing collar and where to the bell housing (I presume the bell housing)? What length must this be as I can probably get one here locally.

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/5/27 1:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Throw out bearing spring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Memory says it attaches to the throwout bearing and the clutch cover (3.210) which has a small protrusion with a hole in it for the spring. It does not attach to the bell housing. Look at plate 131 in the 48-54 parts book to ref. 3.210. The spring always has to be disconnected before you can pull the trans back or you will stretch/break the spring. Spring is listed in 3.149 and shown in plate 59.

Posted on: 2008/5/27 10:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks Randy

I am gonna check today for that protrution. Just to be sure, it is part no 3.210 on the gearbox, the part that fits over the transmission shaft? I attach some pictures of my throw out bearing which is caput! I hope I can find one here locally. Max merritt doesnt reply to my email enquiries.

Here is some photos to be sure. first is the gearbox that has 2 protrutions, remember my car is right hand drive, which one do you think will work?

The second is of the throw out bearing collar. Is the encircled part the place where the spring must be attached.

The third is of the whole assembly and parts. Do you think that pivot ball thing is still allright?

Attach file:

jpg  (28.73 KB)
484_483cff1554358.jpg 614X461 px

jpg  (22.01 KB)
484_483cff21656da.jpg 402X301 px

jpg  (28.73 KB)
484_483cff2d8c9fc.jpg 614X461 px

Posted on: 2008/5/28 1:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Sorry I loaded the wrong slide, here is the one with all the parts and the release bearing.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.36 KB)
484_483d009f67033.jpg 800X601 px

Posted on: 2008/5/28 1:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I tested with the throw out bearing collar and am still not sure on which one of the 2 protrusions I should fit the spring. Does it matter? I presume this spring must be very short to have effect?

I looked at the max merrit one part # 302404 and they mention about 1.5 inches? This seems a bit long as it will not retract the bearing right to the back.

Posted on: 2008/6/4 5:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Some new photos of my uncertainness!

I fitted the to bearing over the gearbox shaft and what I found is that it should work if the spring is attached between number 1 and 2 as in the photo.
According to max merritt the spring should be 1 and 3/8 inch in non extended form. Anybody with one lying around that can measure it for me?
Anybody have an idea what that other hole in the to bearing is for?

Attach file:

jpg  (70.45 KB)
484_4848eef408cb3.jpg 819X614 px

jpg  (44.45 KB)
484_4848ef033eab0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ask and ye shall receive. My spring off of my '53 Clipper is 1 & 3/4", but I stretched it a little when I removed the trans, because I forgot about it, so your 1 & 3/8" is most likely correct. Also, it does go on the #1 and #2 in your pic, that's exactly the right place.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.65 KB)
34_4848f268e390b.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The two holes on the flats on your throwout bearing are for spring clips to hold it to the throwout fork. If I had my throwout bearing with me I'd take a pic of it for you, but it's 130 miles away.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks Eric, and thanks for the trouble with the spring! This helps me immensely, meaning that I can source this spring locally and not wait and pay for import. I knew that someone will eventually come back with an answer. As I am still learning "Packard" I hope I will also be able to help the newguys in future!

Regarding the spring clips, I thought as much, but wasn't certain. Now I know why the throwout fork was so loose. If anybody can help with an idea about how these springs look, even if it is a hand drawing (obviously you cant remove the clutch just to get a picture for me!) I don't seem to be able to find these clips on the plates, anybody know why?

What about keeping photos like the one Eric send somewhere for future reference?

Posted on: 2008/6/6 4:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
By the way Eric, why is your car (Throwout bearing) so far away? Are you on holiday or something?

Posted on: 2008/6/6 4:11
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved