Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Guess it might not be the points.... Suggestions!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
So I pulled one of the new spark plugs, put its wire back on it, held it against the exhaust manifold, had my son crank 'er over and VIOLA, nice strong spark! Sooo from the NOTHING that I know about points I would say that they are still doing their job by the time the spark has made it to the plug, correct? I hear the electronic fuel pump prime like it always does, and no bang? The starter sounds wierd/different to me than it did, and this is when the no starting thing started, about how fast should it be cranking my motor over? My fan seems to turn about 1 - 1 1/4 full turns per second, is that about par for these? If it turns AT ALL (regarless of how slow) and HAS spark it should fire right? I am about to go dump a few gallons of fuel in the tank just to check that possibility off of the list, even tho I filled 'er up and only farted around town for two days so it shouldn't be empty, fuel is about the ONLY fluid that she holds best I can tell! Any guesses? Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (92.18 KB)
4828_502fb4faccc9a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/18 10:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Guess it might not be the points.... Suggestions!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
I just went out and tried it again with gas, spark, air filter off, and same weird sounding starter turns it over and no go! Even tried it while manually holding the choke flap open some, still nothing. What else should I check, ran when I parked it two days ago. Steve

Posted on: 2012/8/18 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Did you put about a teaspoon full of gas directly into the carburetor?

Posted on: 2012/8/18 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Gave it about 1/2 squirt of Ether and one little poot, another squirt, nada, one more squirt, still nada.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Bout to check the firing order just to check that off the list. What it the firing order for the 49's? and on the inline eights if you look from the front of the car what are the piston numbers? Do the just go in order with 1 at the front orrr? Thanks again all!

Posted on: 2012/8/18 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Firing order: 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4
#1 is closest to front bumper, then numbered consecutively back to the firewall.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Got it, thanks! I am about to go double check the firing order and give 'er a squirt of gas in the carb. I will report right back!

Attach file:

jpg  (38.22 KB)
4828_502fcd32df36f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/18 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
A six volt will start even if it sounds like the battery and/or starter is on it's last legs. My good friend Gary's Dodge Power Wagon taught me that.
Try checking your ignition switch. The starter solenoid is suspect as well.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 12:27
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Give us a little bit of RECENT history on the car. Did this car ever actually RUN and drive while in YOUR possesion or is something u towed in and are trying to get it running???? IT makes a difference for diagnosis.

THe spark must be a sharp BLUE spark and not a orange spark.
Check CLOTH covered wire under the distributor cap that connects to the points and to the INside of the distributor. The cloth often disentegrates allowing the wire to short against the metal in the distributor.

If engine is of unkown former operation then Run a compression check. Squirt oil in cylinders and try to restart.

TtHis entire process can be expedited alot quicker if we know some history on the engine. Did u ever actually drive this car in recent months.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 12:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
That didn't do it, the starter did sound a little more like it used to tho. The firing order is on and the new fuel filter only has a pinch of rust crumbs in it I will be keeping an eye on that, if I ever get the thing going again! lol So the silonoid How do I test it? I thought that if it was bad the motor would not turn over at all? Ignition wire from the coil to battery? orrr? I have spark.which one do you mean? Thanks for all advice. Steve (walking)lol

Posted on: 2012/8/18 12:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved