Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater Controls
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
My " new" '52 Packard sedan has the heater controls to the left of the steering column. One of the settings is identified as " air ". Am I correct in assuming that that opens a vent? I don't see any sign of an air conditioner.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 10:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater Controls
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm a bit confused. The 52 controls should be on the right of column. 2 compound operation levers side by side and both have air settings on the top half. What they do is open a flapper valve in the air ducts to provide outside air thru the vents under dash at your feet. The lower half section of the levers controls heater temp on the left lever and heat/defrost on the right. Factory AC wasn't available until 53 and was a trunk unit. Outside air ducts on that was controlled by a knob on package shelf.

There is a 52 owners manual explaining operation available for download here

55-6 had the air levers on the left of column and heat/defrost controls on the right side. They work the same but Packard separated the layout to distinct functions. If your 52 above was a typo and control is on the left then owners manuals for 55 or 56 are also available in the literature section. The only factory AC function on the air levers those years was a position added at the bottom of the left lever labeled "cold". It allowed the AC to have fresh or recirculated air.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater Controls
Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
The "AIR" location on the heater controls for the '51-'56 cars would indeed be for allowing fresh air from the outside into the car by way of the vents located on the bulkhead above the front foot wells. The left lever for driver side and the right one for passenger side. I would check first, though, in the engine area to make sure there are the flexible tubes (like dryer vent tubing) connecting the round, metal vent tubes together or your likely to get engine fumes inducted into the car while driving.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:59
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved