Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: How to modify your Packard for Money, Fame, and Power..
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
It has been great stiring up a rather sleepy forum. Thanks al
Packardprince, Well you certainly did that!

Posted on: 2008/5/30 7:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
The title of this is named "How to Modify your Packard for Money, Fame, and Power" I modify and restore Packards for all the above. Can't I play in your reindeer games? Some guys with boat loads of money know what they want from a car and have to pay to get it. They appreciate it the same as you all who skin your knuckles. They just use their brains to make cash and, well we skin our knuckles and write in forums. The only reason we work on our personal cars ourselves is becuase we know how to and can't afford to pay someone to do it. My self included.
I have a 288 sitting here and it has 5 main bearings. You said it was a 288 9 main bearing pushed to a 327. I have a 54 359 block sitting here and it has 9 main bearings. My research told me that it was the 54 359 only that got the 9 bolt main. Am I wrong or could one of you True Packard pro's set me straight. I am glad to see someone is trying to upgrade the filtering system as the stock one sucks on the straight 8's.
To set John straight, any services I perform are to help me make my house payments and feed my family. What do you do for a living John? Do you expect to make a pay check? Or do you go to work everyday out of the kindness of your heart?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 8:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The 288 is a 5 main, and only available in 5 main. The 327 came in either flavor, 5 or 9 main, depending on the year and model. The 359 of course came only in 9 mains. I think your confusion lies in where I stated at one time I was thinking of using 288 rods in the 327 for a better rod/stroke ratio, which every performance engine builder knows longer rods builds more torque, as the piston spends more time at TDC and BDC. Think of using a cheater pipe on a breaker bar, same idea.

As for the title of this thread, my main intention of it is modifying Packard engines, not taking the easy way out and dropping a bellybutton engine in like every one else does, but actually doing some research and seeing what you can do with the original engine. ANYONE with a welder and a torch can do what you did, along with a standalone wiring harness for the computer control. I got out of the V8 engines because they're such a common configuration, but the straight eight has such a mystique about it it will never be out of style. There's nothing wrong with the straight eight engine configuration, and some people even actually prefer them.

Follow along on my Speedster thread in the Project Blogs forum if you'd like to learn how REAL Packard men modify their cars for "Money, Fame, and Power". You might learn that the old straight eights are not so bad after all.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 12:48

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Eric, I agree that a straight eight has a mystic about that that few engines do. At a car show the engine is always a big attraction especially for the younger crowd who have never seen anything but the V configuration. I also will be very interested in how you modify the oil filtration system and the engine mods especially if they result in improved combustion and or better mileage. Keep up the great work.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
Eric, Eric, don't get your panties in a bunch dude. I modified a Packard and you modified a Ford. Of course my swap was easy and everyone out there can do it. I took a 400 hp LS2 and just welded the Damn thing in and took a wire and plugged in the computer and presto I'm Done. I took a $1000.00 pile of crap and the customer invested $140,000 so he could have a Packard that is so reliable "that is a switch" and cool thanks to front and rear A/C and drivable( thanks to mustang II front suspension and power Rack)and fast that it set the Packard record for the most time in a passing lane on any Interstate, and you could drive across country unscared of mechanical issues and pass any sniff test and get 23mpg. But that was not a challenge and anyone could do it. Your Ford is Cool. It is a Rat Rod. You built it for the glory and the glory of the team. Team Packard? Why didn't you drop your 400hp in a 4500 pound Clipper? Your rat rod is such a feat and your so smart that you are a legend in your time and to others on this site. I like rat rods. At this time I don't have a bunch of old garbage in my attic to throw on one.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 18:40

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
packprince, Other than the AC (don't need it where I live)and the 'sniff test" (not require where I live) your $140,000 car sounds just like my old bone stock '47 "reliable,like a switch", "driveable","23mpg" and "fast" and it's only worth about $20K tops! Packard sure knew how to build cars.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
Folks, the stink is I modifeid a Packard which is an easy cheap whorish feat and I am a bad guy. Low budget Ford Rat rods Rule.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.72 KB)
546_48409878439d1.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (65.13 KB)
546_4840988c21ab9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (66.65 KB)
546_484098c90ecee.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (47.17 KB)
546_484098f338a78.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (43.10 KB)
546_48409a2fdd404.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/5/30 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
Clipper 47 do you or Eric want to race??

Posted on: 2008/5/30 19:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
or stick cheap comments where sun won't shine?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 19:30

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
packprince, Nice car except for the funny looking engine. Now why would I want to race? If I want speed I'll climb back into the left seat of a DHC-2 Mark 3 Turbo Beaver. You know what that is don't you?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 19:33

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved