Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 154

BDeB, 53 Cavalier, packardbill, moodydavid16, humanpotatohybrid, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacing door weatherstrip
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
Hello, does anybody know if I have to remove the front panels of my Packard (1951) before I can replace the door-weatherstrip? The guy who's gonna paint it thinks so.

Thanks, Tom

Posted on: 2008/5/28 13:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing door weatherstrip
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If you mean the front fenders and the weatherstip that is partially under the trailing edge of the fender and is also under the door when it is closed, I don't think you have to remove the fenders completely. Remove the rear bolts, top, middle and bottom and wedge it out enough to position the weatherstrip.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 14:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
Yes, that is exactly the weatherstrip I mean. I will remove the old weatherstrip and hope I will find out.

Thanks Randy!

Posted on: 2008/5/28 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You may have to loosen the fenders before you remove the weatherstrip. I'm not sure but there may be one bolt from the middle of the fender that you have to remove the kick panel to remove the nut. The bolt is a part of the fender brace assembly. Not 100% sure about that.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 16:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember if a bolt is behind kick panel either but do believe some along bottom rear of inner skirt to frame will have to be loosened to get much movement--and maybe the ones at radiator splash & cross brace too--I hope & think there is only glue holding things but in back of mind, I remember a screw at end of strips on one car I did. Whatever you do, just be extra careful not to spread fenders more than a tiny bit because grill is still attached and the pot metal won't take much before letting you know.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 17:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard you are correct - I think there is a sheetmetal screw at the bottom back edge of the weatherstrip. With the door open it is accessible. Good warning about just pulling fender enough to remove the old and reglue the new weatherstrip. Some inner fender screws may have to be loosened also.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 19:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
The doors and the grill are removed, so I think that is one problem less. Thanks for the warnings!

Tom

Posted on: 2008/5/29 4:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved