Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

transmission seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hello Friends,
My mechanic and I are getting to know the transmission in my 47 Custom Super (w/OD). We've been studying the Master Parts Book exploded diagram of the transmission and are a bit stymied.
We're trying to fix a leak where the clutch shaft (3.209) passes through the clutch shaft rear bearing cover (3.210). What part seals the transmission oil around the clutch shaft? Is there a seal built-in to the bearing cover, or, perhaps a seal within the rear seal bearing (3.2902), or....?
I'd like to be able to talk intelligently to my parts guy about this and any help is always appreciated.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/22 20:52
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission seal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doesn't appear there is a seal. Looks like the housing is machined for a close tolerance to the forward part of shaft. A spiral groove continually slinging and pushing any oil that gets past the bearing toward the rear looks to be the control. There is a reminder in the manual that when assembling the shaft and front cover to the case, the mechanic check and make sure the oil drain hole is lined up and clear.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.87 KB)
209_5035a1e42fa75.jpg 557X490 px

Posted on: 2012/8/22 22:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Howard,
You must be a night owl!
Your explanation makes perfect sense. Would you think a worn bearing would allow too much oil for the spiral groove to handle, thus causing a leak? The transmission is quiet, otherwise.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Mark Graber wrote:
Thanks Howard,
You must be a night owl!
Your explanation makes perfect sense. Would you think a worn bearing would allow too much oil for the spiral groove to handle, thus causing a leak? The transmission is quiet, otherwise.

The bearing unless changed from original has a metal shield on the side facing the transmission gears, so unlikely to leak even if worn.
Also,the normal oil level is quite low and relies on the rotation of the countershaft to circulate the oil up to the other gears.
I wouldn't hurt to check and confirm that the oil level is not too high. It should be just at the bottom of the threads on the fill plug opening.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 0:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Keep in mind that it is a shield on the inside of the bearing not a seal.

There are a few thousands clearance between the shield and the inner race to allow some lube to get thru to lube the bearing, that lube should drain back into the trans if the hole is not blocked by sludge or someone's home made gasket.

John

Posted on: 2012/8/23 10:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved