Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

BODY MOUNTS
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have several rusted out body mounts on my 1954 Clipper. What is the proper procedure for replacement?

Posted on: 2012/9/2 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: BODY MOUNTS
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
No answer or suggetion so far, do I just have brackets welded in different spots than the rusted originals? It looks as though the car has flexed a few times as I can see welds on both sides of the car on the door frame and rocker panels.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hard to give much advice without pix of the damage.

However, you can't simply relocate the mounting points; you must restore the structural integrity of the affected area(s).

Posted on: 2013/10/22 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Here are some shots from driver's side.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.35 KB)
3889_5267e0fd84184.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (112.88 KB)
3889_5267e11296623.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (65.99 KB)
3889_5267e139411ad.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
HOT ROD Magazine has a series of DVD's (Dream, Build, Drive) on doing a restoration of a 1970 Chevelle and in the first DVD they talk about replacing a cross member and or repairing them. They do an excellent job in telling you what to watch out for.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/10/23 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Those rusted out areas are actually outboard of the body mounts, but you might want to pull back the carpet/padding and see what the floor looks like - from the other end of the body bolts.

What's rusted out are the ends of reinforcement channels - just sheet metal stampings - that run across the bottom of the floor and past the body mounts and the ends of the outriggers.

Not quite sure of the area I'm looking at in P1030215.jpg (perhaps where the rear fender/quarter meets the floor?), but P1030216.jpg and P1030217.jpg show where those reinforcements (used to) meet the inner rocker panels, which are also rusted out. It's not an uncommon condition, and I've seen worse get repaired.

Still, this will require cutting/welding and could involve a lot of time, but what else were you gonna do this winter?

If you've followed these forums for very long, you may recall that Classic 2 Current Fabrication offers some repairs panels for several years/models of postwar Packards - including inner and outer rocker panels. Their parts have often been listed for sale on eBay. Opinions as to fit/quality vary, but the overall shape appear to be better than what was available, many years ago, in the retail aftermarket. If only inner panels are needed, you may be able to fab them yourself or with the help of a local tin shop.

I've not yet tackled those areas on either of my 56 Patricians, but thinking that one could repair or replace those reinforcements with straight lengths of pre-formed sheet metal channels that can be found in any good autobody supply shop. It almost looks as if one could run a hole saw through the bottom of the new channel stock, where the original reinforcement stock curves down to meet the inner rockers, then bend the new stock over a form made out of wood or metal, and flatten out the end to reproduce the original profile.

Mind you, I'm speaking only as a hobbyist, not a pro, but hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, this is a relief for me. I was very concerned about the support. The floor pans have been repaired, but not replaced. They are sheet steel welded and bonded to the old floor, then covered with POR15. They feel very solid and I am now thinking the flexing was done before the repair job, as the flex spots were repaired(welded) also.
Thanks again, I am always pleased to get such good info on this site. Any time I have a solution I try to get it on line as soon as I can.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
While the body isn't likely to fly off the frame, "support" is still a bit of an issue. That is, I wouldn't wanna stand on the sill plates.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Find a donor car with good body mounts and cut them the out and reuse them on your car. That to me would be the cheapest option over fabricating new ones. That is thick metal and not easy to shape.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 11:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved