Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

Kevinanderson, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949,Model 2279 VIN tag and location
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Where is the VIN tag on a 1949 Super8 supposed to be?
I have the model 2279 and paint/trim tag (4X4) on top of the cowl as well the model tag behind the heater box...
However,I have an engraved VIN tag, not an original on the cowl as well. I'm thinking that is where the original might have been.
Does anyone have a photo of an original VIN tag for the 1949?
Much appreciated,
Al Miller

Posted on: 2012/9/4 12:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949,Model 2279 VIN tag and location
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
When you open the hood from the drivers side, the VN tag is right there held on by 4 screws .Mine is a 48 Custom 8 so its 2252-xxxx.There is a Briggs tag on the firewall as well as a Thief proof number above the heater box <xxxxx>.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
I spoke with a guy earlier today. He stated that on the 49 Super 8 the VIN number is just below the head on the drivers side.
Sure enough, I looked. That's apparently the only place on this car that has the full VIN.
Thanks, Al

Posted on: 2012/9/4 18:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were no VIN's as we know them used back then. Believe that number on the engine you are referring to is the motor number.

Apparently there were no hard and fast registration rules then so that was the number used by many states to register the cars in those years. Other states used one of the other numbers.

One problem is if the engine is replaced by one from another vehicle, the motor number is no longer correct. Makes it interesting when the car changes hand and the new owner goes to register. States had different ways of noting a replacement engine as well. A few of the members have come across strange motor numbers on their cars. Currently without more facts, we are attributing those to a replacement engine that has been re-numbered following a states regulations.

The body number as others have mentioned is on the drivers side cowl on your car. Another number which frequently grows legs. Believe your car would have a plate like the photo. The Briggs number is on the little plate on the engine side firewall and similar format but not always exactly the same as the main body number.

The embossed "thief proof" number is the only permanent number on the car and unfortunately the one number no known factory records exist for.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.51 KB)
209_504696a3bec52.jpg 347X376 px

Posted on: 2012/9/4 19:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Thank you for the great information.
The title I have does state the motor number as the VIN. Yes, I can see how it would be problematic, if the car had an engine replacement. What a simple world it was in 1949!

Posted on: 2012/9/4 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have to wonder... how many of these replica plates were made up with "SCHEME" spelled as "SCEME"? I would think you could get a discount.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Just Amazing.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 10:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved