Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

Charles, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tight steering 1947 Clipper
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
The steering in my 1947 Clipper is too tight. I am now suspecting the steering box. The kingpins, idler arm and bushings were recently replaced. This solved the play in the steering, but not the tightness. I raised the front tires off the ground and I backed out the cross shaft adjusting screw, but it did not help. The car sat many years. Could the problem be hardened grease in the steering box? Should I remove the top cover, and inspect the inside?

Posted on: 2012/9/8 14:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Tight steering 1947 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Check the service manual. There are some documented tests.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd look starting on page 36 in steering section of 46-50 SM. The specs are there but generally are around 1 1/2 - 2 lbs pull thru center. In addition to the adjustment screw, there are shims that someone could have removed to try and eliminate the play caused by the worn parts you just replaced.

One other thing they mention on effort is the steering column alignment. If someone has tried to raise or lower it improperly (height apparently was a problem on some since Packard issued a bulletin) that might also be causing a bind.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 16:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I loosened the adjustment screw all the way. With the front wheels off the ground, I can grab the left wheel and turn it, but it is very stiff. However, I cannot turn the right wheel this way. Also, with the wheels on the ground and the car not moving, when I try to steer I can hear a creaking noise on the right side. Now, I think it may not be a steering box problem. Does the pitman arm need to be removed to determine what is binding?

Posted on: 2012/9/8 18:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Harry, try this to isolate the problem. Remove the pitman arm from the steering box shaft. It is held on with a large nut and the shaft has tapered splines. The shaft and arm are indexed with a wider spline so the arm will go back in the correct position. With the arm off the steering linkage is not connected to the box. Moving the wheel will quickly tell if it is the box or somewhere else.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
Thank you for the advice. I will take it to a mechanic tomorrow. I don't feel comfortable working under the car with the wheels suspended.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 16:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I took my Packard to a mechanic and he disconnected the pitman arm and found the steering box was good. He said the tightness is in the kingpins, which were recently installed and this is normal. Apparently, they have to be worn in.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Harry, when new king pin bushings are installed they need to be reamed to fit the king pins. AND, this is most important, after this step they must be burnished for a final fit, finish, and clearance. Reaming alone will give you problems like you describe.

(o[]o)

P.S. The new bushings may need to be drilled so lubricant can flow into them.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 9:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
Thank you for the advice. I want to have the kingpins removed and the bushings burnished. The service manual says special Packard tools should be used like a spacer when burnishing to prevent the knuckles from being distorted and another to press the bearing in and not to hammer them in. I am not sure how to find a place to take my car. The kingpins were put in by a place that services trucks. They do not burnish, they just ream and let the kingpins wear in. I want to get it right now. Do you know the diameter of the kingpins? I called a shop and they asked me that. I live in Florida near Tampa, Clearwater, and St. Petersburg. If anybody knows a good place in this area, I would appreciate their reference.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Harry, the spec for the kingpin diameter may be in the shop manual that can be downloaded from this site. Just go to the Packard Literature and Manuals section and search. Good luck.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/12 14:57
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved