Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

Ross, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Bad news from my compression test I think....how can car STILL refuse to start?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The spark plug is over the valves... not the piston.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Bad news from my compression test I think....how can car STILL refuse to start?
Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
So how do I know when the #1 piston it up to TDC?

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Found this on another site:

You can estimate TDC by removing the #1 plug and cranking the engine in the direction of normal rotation with your finger over the plug hole until you feel the compression building; Use a length of small rod or similar to stop the rotation when the piston has risen to TDC andthen check your timing mark.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:59
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
The timing marks must be on the balancer. You may need to wire brush it and rub it with chalk to see them. I never saw mine until I was running a wire cup in my die grinder over the balancer and they magically appeared.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 22:01
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Yeah possibly stuck valves have me with ZERO compression on #1. The ballancer is pretty cruddy lookin, I will clean it and look for them. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/9/8 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Ordered a gasket, going out to pull the head now, hoping not to have to lap the valves tho.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Also I found those timing marks and checked and the timing was dead on the money. Four pistons with ZERO compression has got to be a head gasket or stuck valves and either one will require me removing the head...yay....

Posted on: 2012/9/9 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
No. Wait a minute. IF stuck valve only then only remove valve cover on side of block. Mite have to remove manifolds.

But FIRST get a spark plug and knock the guts out of it. Attach a rubber hose. Use lung power to blow into the cylinder at TDC and listen for WHERE the air is escaping from (can also used compress air at low volumn of say 50 psi).

If it is only a stuck valve u should be able to free it up thru the tappet galley or worst case heat the valve guide thru the ports in side of the block.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
I will also be able to free them by taking the head off too tho right? I had just come in to see what order to untorque the bolts and saw this. Looks like a real PITA to get at them from the galley.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
I will give the galley a try first but it looks like a pain!

Posted on: 2012/9/9 16:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved