Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

kevinpackard, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'54 clock issue...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
So, about 5 years ago i had my original Borg clock rebuilt on my '54 Patrician. No issues after that. Until now. Intermittent starts and stops, I'd pull the setting crown out and it would start, for a bit, then stop. I was able to tighten the little screw in the middle of the setting stem, and "Viola" (always surprised me that it's pronounced 'Wah LAH!')....it worked for 3+ weeeks. Something's getting hung up in there, and I hate hate hate to send these things out for repair, she's really so original I have these thoughts of....lost!...1) Anyone got a schematic of the original clock, 2)Thoughts about what could be wrong (I checked the obvious, like lose connections, fuse, etc.), and 3) A Reliable clock maker?

Posted on: 2012/9/9 19:38
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 clock issue...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think I've ever seen a schematic. Not much to them.

The wind mechanism is a set of contacts which control an electromagnet. A small spring pulls against an armature and ratchet mechanism and is essentially the clock mainspring. As the regular clock mechanism does it's thing, the spring pulls the armature to a point where the contacts snap closed. Electromagnet pulls the armature several degrees by virtue of the ratchet & tensions the spring again. As the armature leaves the start position, the contacts snap open & cycle repeats every few seconds depending on the clock. That's the thunk or click you hear every so often.

The usual problem is the lube gets dry or gummy so clock slows and stalls or else the contacts oxidize or burn. The contacts are particularly vulnerable if the battery is weak so the snap action doesn't happen quickly to open them.

You can remove the clock and do the cleaning and lubing yourself using clock cleaner and oil -- not regular off the shelf products. While some have had some success with ordinary items, usually those will gum up again quickly. The contacts can be dressed with a regular point file.

There are a couple here who have done theirs and posted pictures of what you will find inside.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 20:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
on my 51 200, I pulled the dash out and removed the clock, cleaning it carefully with a small paint brush. I then used a toothpick to put a very small drop of neatsfoot oil (same stuff you used on your baseball glove 40+ years ago) and put it back in. It works fine now. Course this assumes that the only problem is a lack of lubrication, but it seems to be the most frequent problem.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks guys...great advice as usual...nothing like knowing help is just a holler away!

I carefully removed the clock and cleaned the contact points and re lubed what could. She seems to be ticking happily now, we'll see...

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
glad it worked. It never works as well as a quartz mechanism, but it's more fun!!

Posted on: 2012/9/13 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
lol, thanks David! But, the clock actually ticks...which is just reassuring, even if it's not as coolly accurate as 'quartz'.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 21:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved