Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Build dates for early 1920s Single Sixes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Can someone please direct me to a source of build date information for early (first series) Single Sixes?

Posted on: 2012/9/16 21:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Build dates for early 1920s Single Sixes
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bob Turnquist's book: "The Packard Story" has production dates. I can look up the information for you if you do not have access to a copy.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/17 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Hi JW
Thank you for your interest. I do not have very much in the way of books regarding the Packard.
My chassis (frame) number is U28317, engine number U28296, body number 1432 style 222 (Doctor's Coupe)
I understand that the car is 1923 but a more accurate build date could be helpful. Unfortunately anything in the way of a i/d or dealers plate has been removed by either a previous owner or a souvenir hunter long ago.

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 17:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bernie, from your description sounds like you have an interesting Packard. The Single Sixes and nice looking and great driving Packards. Comfortable, easy to drive, and good power. I'll get out my Turnquist and look up your information.

You may want to look through the stacks, so to speak, and glance at the reviews on the Packard Bookshelf on this site. Just look to the left of this window and you will see it. Also the Packard Model Info may be of some help to you too.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/17 17:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bernie, here is what Turnquist has to say about the 1st Series Single Sixes. The first Single Sixes (116s) were begun in 1920.

From the appendix:
Produced - 1922-24
Cars Produced - 126 -- 18,192 - 133 -- 4,004
Motor Numbers - 9,000 - 36,000
Vehicle Numbers - Same as motor

Unfortunately, the text of his book starts with the 2nd Series Single Eight and 3rd Series Single Six.

According to your numbers the automobile was probably produced in 1923. Turnquist states the motor and vehicle numbers are the same, but your differ.

You may also want to buy a copy of Automobile Quarterly's book, "Packard a History of the Motor Car and the Company" (edited by Beverly Rae Kimes). Many consider it the source for Packard. It covers the company and its motor cars from their beginning in Warren, Ohio to the end in South Bend, Indiana.

Researching the your Packard's past can be interesting and fun.

Others here are more expert in this vintage of Packard and can probably give you more and better information.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/18 12:26
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Thank you for your input John.
If I could only discover anything of the cars history it may help to explain the variance between the chassis and the engine numbers. If The engine was changed it must have been done a long long time ago. When I acquired the car two years ago it had NEVER been on the roads in Australia. It was exported from the USA as a "parts car" but as I understand it, following a dispute regarding the amount of Custom's duty to be paid, it was left abandoned on the docks, impounded by the Customs and left in a bond store for the next 50 years. I live in hope that if I ask sufficient people, someone will remember an old Packard Coupe having the roof cut off and the seats and interior trim all ripped out before it was shipped to Australia probably some time during the late 1950s or early 1960s. Someone, somewhere in the US of A must have bought it and driven it before putting it into the barn or wherever it was prior to shipping it to Australia.
Bj.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.52 KB)
2754_50591ae2197d2.jpg 531X398 px

jpg  (121.40 KB)
2754_50591baf0eb43.jpg 1280X887 px

Posted on: 2012/9/18 20:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Virtually every reference book I look at has a huge black hole when it comes to the early (Series 1) Single Six, but then some of the members of my local PAC Aust consider that there were no worthwhile Packards before the "Clipper". I suspect that lots of other people are similarly blind sided.
Bj.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 4:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Bernie,
Regarding the minor difference in engine and chassis number on you 126, my 126 has a similar difference as did a few other early series cars I came across. I was also concerned about this when I started on my car and was told by the "experts" at the time that it was normal for there to be a minor difference in the numbers. I doubt that it indicates an engine change with you car.
I have never found any information about the actual build dates. Mine has low numbers so I have assumed it was built in 1922 but it may have been sold in Australia in 1923. It seems we will never know that information.
David.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 2:43
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Thank you David
The nearest I can come to an actual date is the casting date on the oil pan, 3-5-23. Just how much time elapsed between the casting, machining and bolting onto the engine and the day the car was driven out the factory door could be anything from one to twelve months depending on all sorts of factors. Anyone care to make an educated guess?

Bj

Posted on: 2012/9/28 18:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
can you help with your book of the Packard story. I am looking for the date my 56 Patrician was built. 5682-4508

Thanx

Attach file:

jpg  (91.89 KB)
17226_521e4f8ea20ab.jpg 717X960 px

Posted on: 2013/8/28 14:27
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved