Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

1956 Brake Light Switch, Where is it?
Just popping in
Just popping in

curtrod58
See User information
Just picked up a '56 Clipper Custom with power brakes and I don't have any brake lights. The bulbs and fuse are fine so I'm figuring it might be the switch but I can't find it anywhere. Looked in the manual and it's shown on the schematic but doesn't show where it's at on the car. Please help, we're trying to get it on the road to take cruising this Saturday

Posted on: 2012/9/17 14:12
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Brake Light Switch, Where is it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On top of the left frame rail directly below the battery and fresh air vent tube.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day curtrod58,
to PackardInfo. Besides driving your '56 Clipper Custom I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

curtrod58
See User information
Thanks alot everyone, now maybe I can get this baby on the road! I will definitely post the new toy in the registry

Posted on: 2012/9/17 16:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Does anyone have any idea how to get at the headlight dimmer switch on a 55 Caribbean? I don't have brights and can see the wire is hanging off the switch but it looks impossible to get at. I tried but there just isn't any clearance.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 17:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What spaces do you have open that are not covered with bracing? I take it the normally open bottom where access on regular cars is done is totally covered on convertibles? What about the oval hole in front -- anything covering that? Do the wires enter the regular round hole under the oval. If oval is open, I can think of a way that might possibly be used.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 18:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Removing it is not as big of a problem as reinstalling it.
Why do you think it must be removed??
Double check and verify it is not working.
If it is working DO NOT remove it.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 18:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have to remove it to replace the wire, then unless someone comes up with something better here is a method that might work if the oval hole in front is clear -- or one of the other small holes if that would be easier.

Tie a long string around the button stem and remove the two screws. Push the switch into the opening letting the string follow. Tie the string off so it won't all go in the void and use the wires to pull switch close to the oval opening. If you can get switch thru the opening then easier but you can probably reattach just holding it and working thru the opening. Use the string to pull switch back into place and then hold the button stem while you twist and orient it and replace the screws.

If the bottom of fender is open, might be easier to work from below but if you are a contortionist, could probably do it from above. Sounds like it's going to be a royal pain no matter what -- something apparently the good Packard folks didn't think a lot about service things when they added reinforcements.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 19:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
What is really aggrevating is that the wire is off the switch. Switch appears to be ok. Low beams work and high do not. I can see the wire just danging there but can't get at it. No room for a screw driver or other device.

Does have the oval hole but still no access. What a stupid thing for Packard to do.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 19:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I and maybe others would be very curious to see the area if one of the convertible owners would take a photo of that particular reinforcement showing how they managed to cover up access. No hidden trap doors or zippers?

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved