Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 1956 Brake Light Switch, Where is it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If you have a looong handled pair of pliers, you can use them to hold the switch while you remove the screws that go through the floor pan and secure the dimmer. You will have to use those pliers to hold the switch in the proper position to reinstall the two screws.
(You could also use an electricians fish line through one screw hole to pull the switch back into position)
It's a B*&%H but can be done with patience.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery when working with wiring. And let us know how you make out.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I have an idea that might work. Use two long threaded rods. Remove the mounting screws one at a time and screw on the threaded rods one at a time from the inside of the car leaving to long shafts extending from the switch holes through the floor board. Push the shafts to move the switch through the oval hole. Replace the wire than pull the rods tight, with the switch inplace. Replace the shafts one at a time. Sounds like it might work.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If 55Clippers trick with the rods doesn't work for some reason then buy a mechanical finger. Their cheap and no mechanics tool box should be without one.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rods sound reasonable and maybe easier than the string. Only problem might be the angle. Hole is a bit higher than the switch so will there be enough oversize in the screw holes to let the rods angle to raise the switch. The finger is a good option but wonder if there is enough room for the jaws to pass the stem hole while attached to the switch.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I guess I could use very thin threaded rods with a nut attached to the bottom. This would give me some more play.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 21:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've added a pic to show the difficulty of working thru the oval hole to access the dimmer switch. Note the wiring comes thru a smaller hole with rubber cover.
Click on picture to get a larger version.
And remember, the fender is very much in the way.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.89 KB)
23_5057dfa06204c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/9/17 21:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the reinforcement cover the area behind the tire & under the fender to cowl space where the front antenna would normally be found on a regular car? Mine is open there and as long as the switch is out the oval hole a tad, looks like it could be accessed from below relatively well if there is nothing covering.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Maybe I'll have to remove the fender. Whatcha think?

Posted on: 2012/9/18 1:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm a little confused. What model of Packard dimmer switch are we discussing here?????

56 Executive:
I layed on the floor. reached my arm UNDER the car and up slightly and firmly grasped the dimmer switch and felt the wires.

Has anyone tried to jack the car up and physicaly roll under the car on a creeper to take a look????

As for the pick-up tool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-LOT-OF-3-RIMAC-BONNEY-MECHANICAL-FINGERS-4-6-10-PICK-UP-TOOL-/110938101291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d46d162b

If one of those tools won't fit or work then rods and strings won't make it.

Edit: I went back thru this thread. We are still discussing 55 Convertible. Try one of the pick-up tools like those in the eBay auction in the link above.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 7:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
55clipper, Interesting discussion with some innovative suggestions being offered. Here is mine.

Why not remove the floorboard cover plate that is under the steering column? This is not a complicated task. You will need to pull back the carpeting, remove the accelerator pedal, loosen or remove the brake pedal, and unscrew a few fasteners to remove the plate. After that you should have good access to the dimmer switch. Here is a photo of the cover plate removed when I was working on the floorboards of my 55 Clipper Super. I moved the dimmer switch out of the way when I was working on the area around it. The power brake may not give you as much room as my conventional master cylinder, but this method should work.

What do you think?

(o[]o)

Addendum: This would be a good time to note the location where I found the build sheet (or what was left of it) for my Clipper. It was fastened with masking tape on the transmission hump. You can still see three pieces of the masking tape.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.26 KB)
565_505899c2cd432.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/18 10:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved