Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | Stop Light Switch -ok / back up light switch / where is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Coolio, I'm on it.

TC

Posted on: 2021/7/12 15:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | Stop Light Switch -ok / back up light switch / where is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
From just eyeballing, this Hurst switch sure looks like it would fit sans the 6 Volt vs 12 Volt issue maybe?

Attach file:

jpg  071221hurstbackupswitch.JPG (54.67 KB)
201206_60eca1bbecc06.jpg 1429X459 px

Posted on: 2021/7/12 15:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
This is what I just pulled off:

Attach file:

jpg  54packbackupswitch4.JPG (59.51 KB)
201206_60ecbcddc45e2.jpg 795X480 px

Posted on: 2021/7/12 17:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the end is crimped then not as easy to take apart as the other style so maybe replacement is a better option. NOS is somewhat expensive but if no one has a parts car Max and probably Kanter do have them.

In addition to the Hurst aftermarket above Napa also has one that looks like it would work. Np specs given to see if it would fit the bracket hole and Napas would need new terminals but function would appear to be the same.https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWR92116BX?partTypeName=Back+Up+Light+Switch&impressionRank=5&keywordInput=back+up+light+switch

Might find something on ebay too.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 17:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | back up light switch/ Ultramatic vs GM 700R4 / reverse position
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
All works now. I used a Standard LS-249 switch from Summit. Dilemma though. I have a GM 700R4 trans in place of the Ultramatic. The shift pattern as it relates to steering column shifter positions is different. The Ultramatic is P-N-H-L-R and the GM is P-R-N-D-L2-L1. The back-up switch works perfect with Ultramatic in R position and with GM in L1 position. I need the switch to work in the Ultramatic "N" position which would correlate to the GM "R" position. Has anyone ever configured a bracket attachment to move the switch to different positions at the end of the steering column?

Attach file:

jpg  07302154packrear1.jpg (327.55 KB)
201206_6103f606b294a.jpg 1920X1558 px

jpg  0712154packbackuplight2.jpg (60.32 KB)
201206_6103f6232637c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  071221summitswitch.JPG (115.29 KB)
201206_6103f6429c102.jpg 1467X742 px

jpg  07302154packshift1.jpg (207.11 KB)
201206_6103f6577d4cb.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/7/30 7:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | back up light switch/ Ultramatic vs GM 700R4 / reverse position
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You are not going to be able to use the stock straight plunger type switch with the GM transmission setup because the plunger switch is designed for activation at a complete limit of travel. With the reverse position being sort of in the middle of the travel range it will need to be something the linkage can control via sliding or rotating to be activated within only a few degrees of the reverse position and then smoothly drop out on either side. It appears GM used a switch mounted on the steering column with that particular transmission -- like Packard did with the introduction of the GS and later TU transmissions. With your older column, trying to mount one of those column type switches would be difficult.

Probably the simplest option would be to convert to a roller plunger micro switch or maybe a roller ball operated plunger switch. Ball plunger selection is very limited but there are a few used in cars. Most of those have a limited operating range of only a fraction of an inch and might be very fussy with position or not be suitable for use with exposed linkage. Roller micros are much easier to find, mount and come in different shapes, roller orientation, prices and current capacities. You do need a sturdy switch to stand up to the rigors of car use and location as well as have a decent current capacity. One downside to a roller microswitch is they need to have a smooth rounded cam like action to operate them so no damage is done to the switch by anything catching on the roller and forcing it.

For any switch -- microswitch or ball -- you will need to make your own bracket and it needs to be sturdy so the assy does not flex. I would use 1/8" steel flat stock because that is fairly easy to find at most decent hardware or home center stores. McMaster also has a wide assortment of 1/8 flat and sheet stock. Even with the limitations of the Packard linkage there are some possibie places I believe a nice rounded and stable cam like area would work well to activate a microswitch. No idea if any of them would have a convenient or easy spot to do what is needed to mount the bracket at precisely the place when the linkage is in the reverse position though. There might be other places but not being able to see the linkage and surrounding objects first hand it is just a guess. If there is enough room possibly you could mount a switch in the same general area as the current switch only higher and have it operated by one side of the main lever as it passes instead of the bottom of the lever pushing the current switch plunger in. You would need to fabricate some kind of wedge affair and mount it on the side of the lever that would provide a gentle ramp to push the plunger in yet let the roller rotate freely as the lever passes.

Attaching something for a ramp and using the long rod is maybe possible but not a great idea -- although it depends on the geometry of the bellcrank and maybe the transmission lever. If those two levers are equal length the rod might stay in the same plane but the vertical rod looks like it could shift near or farther away from the switch as the bellcrank moves thru the various gears. That could make using a fixed position mount difficult.

Here is a decent size microswitch with a parallel roller. Amazon has dozens of switches in all sorts of configurations and prices including some ball types used in transmissions that are designed to use that type switch. If mounting would be easier because of space, the roller microswitch can also be bought with cross rollers which would make the body of the switch turn 90 degrees to the various possible locations I show. You could mount using the nuts on the stem thru a large hole in the bracket like the original switch or by using a wider bracket and placing screws thru the holes in the switch body. If you do use a microswitch it would be a good idea to provide some water and dirt protection. Amazon also has vinyl covers for some of the microswitches.

Once you have the new switch in position remove and extend the wires from the stock switch but keep it in position for looks.

Attach file:

jpg  microswitch.jpg (88.41 KB)
209_61041c6b601d3.jpg 1920X886 px

jpg  backup sw location.jpg (176.44 KB)
209_61041c786b75b.jpg 2456X1600 px

jpg  cover.jpg (114.48 KB)
209_61043b8468f85.jpg 2150X958 px

Posted on: 2021/7/30 10:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the indicator, I am about to have some made for Gear Start and it might not be much extra work to make one for your setup at the same time! PM me if you want to give it a try.

Posted on: 2021/7/30 12:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Brake Light Switch, Where is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I sent you a couple replies to your PM but haven’t heard back.

Posted on: 2021/7/31 15:06
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Brake Light Switch, Where is it?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
Original 3-prong hydraulic brake light switches usually do not work after awile and even new ones will fail shortly after installation as they have a short shelf life. I have new mechanical brake light switches for $75.00. Dwight Heinmuller

Posted on: 2021/9/1 15:47
Dwight
 Top  Print 

1954 Packard Pacific | Sparks-Withington Sparton Sparco 6 volt Horn | low sound
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Aloha Howard. Another topic if you do not mind. My 54 Pacific has 2x Sparton 6 volt horns. They are extremely low. I drive with a boat air horn in the car in case I need it. What would cause the sound to be so low? Bad relay? In addition, I cannot seem to find any type of 6 volt replacement anywhere or any 6 volt horns in general except for a motorcycle or VW. Where are all the 6 volt pack, caddy and imperial horns from the 50's? I do have a restored 56 12v caribbean horn though. What needs to be done to safely connect a new 12V horn to a 6V positive ground system? TC

Posted on: 2021/9/17 12:02
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved