Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1931 super 8 starter
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

W.L.C.
See User information
Tha nose casting on my starter broke and also bent the bendix. Anyone know where to get another nose piece? Anyone ever have this happen? Does anybody make a modern type bendix,like is made for a Model A Ford? E-mail is etobp@yahoo.com Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/9/22 12:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1931 super 8 starter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Those Owen-Dyneto starters are extremely robust, such failures are extremely uncommon and can result from failure to properly install and secure the retaining bolt. I can't comment on substitutes but would be concerned about such items having sufficient torque to turn that monster.

Check with Jason at AER, service parts are probably available.

Posted on: 2012/9/22 13:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I can probably help you. Yes, there are "heavier duty" drives made to replace the originals. Owen_Dyneto is correct, this rarely happens with these starters and is usually caused but another isuue. I'll check and see if I have any spare drive end housings, should be able to come up with one.
Jason

Posted on: 2012/9/22 23:14
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

W.L.C.
See User information
Thanks guys. It sort of looks like a weak spot in the casting, but not sure. All I know is that it made a loud bang noise and that was all she wrote for the starter. David Moe has the part and is sending it. I would definitely be interested in a modern drive.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 7:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved