Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1955-56 manual overdrive transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've done several floor shift conversions for 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawks with the Borg-Warner T85 transmission. Not easy, but not impossible for a good shadetree.

Tip: Have the transmission on the bench to fab the mounting brackets and shifter rods.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/10/1 21:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
If you have everything as noted in your e-mail please call me Tuesday West coast time. If all is as noted i will forward a cashiers check plus shipping when it clears you can ship all.
This inquiry is for the overdrive tranmission and pars complete.
My only question is how much of the electronics and parts to install the pedals are with the parts.
John Miller
209-581-1105

Posted on: 2012/10/1 22:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
If you have everything as noted in your e-mail please call me Tuesday West coast time. If all is as noted i will forward a cashiers check plus shipping when it clears you can ship all.
My only question is how much of the electronics and parts to install the pedals are with the parts.
John Miller
209-581-1105

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
John Miller
209-581-1105

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Is posting three times equivalent to writing in ALL CAPS?
Haha, I've also made such things. Good luck on The conversion.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 0:59
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I've done this conversion twice..Take your time and make sure you have the Packard Service Manual for reference. Make sure the hole the shift lever fits into in the shift column is not worn beyond use. Replacing the shift indicator plate with the plain one is a bear.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 1:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
No it is OOP's or a senior moment.
John Miller

Posted on: 2012/10/2 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
John,

Ross did the manual shift conversion on my '55 Clipper. I am most pleased with the shift-it-yourself transmission, and I am sure you will be too. He is a great guy to deal with.

I drove a '56 Four Hundred that had an overdrive transmission fitted when looking for a V-8 Packard/Clipper a few years ago. It was a nice driving car. Don't know what axle ratio was fitted.

My Clipper with the 3:54:1 gear set is a good set up. I do a lot of 2nd gear driving around town and highway cruising is at a relaxed rate.

The manual trans has a speedo gear for the 3.9 axle so the speedo reading is off by about 10% on the slow side. Not a big deal.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I realize this is a relatively old thread. I think the question was posted early on in regard to how many 1956 Packard 400s were delivered from the factory with the manual transmission. An owner in Pennsylvania who has one said that just 30 were built.
1. Is 30 a correct number?
2. Is the type of transmission entered on any i.d. tags?
3. Was the manual transmission offered across the whole Packard line-up? If so...
4. Is it known how many Caribbeans were built with the manual transmission?
5. What is the benefit of the manual?

Posted on: 2014/3/4 7:01
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll probably get some disagreement, but I'll take a shot at it. Mike Grimes has studied the Caribbean data extensively and might have more to offer.

1. No records have ever surfaced with that information to my knowledge. The only way to know would be to have access to and review all the build slips/shipping orders for the 400s. Thirty might be correct, but more likely is probably no more than a guess.

2. The Utica engine number indicates if the engine was built with a flywheel for a manual trans or a flex-plate for Ultramatic. If on a model where the manual transmission was standard, Twin Ultramatic would have been noted on the build slip/shipping order.

3. Not offered on Caribbeans.

4. None documented as installed by the factory in 1956 as shown by analysis of the build slips, additionally there was no Utica engine code for a Caribbean engine with a flywheel. Some dealer conversions are known. I assume the situation was the same for 1955 Caribbeans but don't know that for a fact - never seen an analysis of the 55 Caribbean build slips.

5. Come on West, what kind of a question is that? Surely you know.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 8:56
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved