Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: position of R9 Lockout Control Lever on OD case ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 4 terminal solenoid is R9. Length of plunger showing without the spacer assembly is 2 1/4 and with spacer in position 1 5/8.

Terminals 3 and 4 are the coil terminals. 4 is pull in coil, 3 is hold coil. To test, both have to be jumpered together and connected to power with case grounded. Need to use fairly heavy wire. Once the plunger is almost completely out, an internal contact will disconnect the pull in coil leaving just the hold coil to keep it extended. If you try just 4 without 3 connected, it will rapidly pull in and drop out or "machine gun". Creates a heck of a noise in the process.

Here is a decent schematic of the R9 OD circuit showing all the contacts well.

There is also a training manual For the Econo-drive in the literature section. It gives some service and troubleshooting information. When re-installing the solenoid, make sure the solenoid and spacer is oriented correctly.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.42 KB)
209_5084c00e86cbd.jpg 1197X673 px

Posted on: 2012/10/21 22:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you HH56 - I have the solenoid in my hand , but there is no spacer attached. The spacer may still be on the car. The former owner supposedly removed the solenoid for testing and put a plate over the hole. I have not been under the car - can oil leak out of the hole where he removed the solenoid ? Do you have a picture of the spacer ? I tried to test the solenoid as you described, but I used a small guage wire to test - nothing. I can try again using a battery jumper cable. This is just one of the problems with the overdrive, the relay is gone and everything is disconnected. But , making progress - Thanks for your help .

Posted on: 2012/10/22 10:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a discussion and photos from a few months ago regarding the spacer.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=104597#forumpost104597

The hole is mid to upper third on case so think it might be slightly above the normal oil level just sitting. If uncovered, oil could probably get thrown out when driving.

The solenoid should at least make an effort when the wire size is sufficient. If not, check continuity between each terminal to ground to rule out any coil issues. 3 should read a low ohm range -- less than 5. 4 should almost be a direct short. If 3 is open, that is a problem. If 4 is open check the internal contacts. Those tend to pit and need occasional service. If those are good, then a problem.

The relay is going to be the next item. It is special to the R9 and getting harder to come by on a parts car -- or somewhat expensive when you buy it new. Unfortunately, unlike the R11 a common power relay from the parts store can not be easily substituted on the R9 setup.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 10:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Last asking price I saw for an NOS R-9 relay was over $400, don't know if it sold or not. I saw several used ones at Hershey for $75 +/-, don't know what functional condition they were in but the external appearance was poor.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 11:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
just a quick note to say I have a couple of the R9 relays available - Texas Packard Owner Discount available.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 11:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Last asking price I saw for an NOS R-9 relay was over $400, don't know if it sold or not. I saw several used ones at Hershey for $75 +/-, don't know what functional condition they were in but the external appearance was poor.

I was looking for some good buys like that at Hershey. Had I seen them, I probably would have bought them. A friend brought one home a couple of years go for about $5. Seller threw it in a bucket-full of regulators. It tested out just fine on the bench. I notice on eBay someone rebuilding them for $300.

This year, my best buy at Hershey was a beautiful like-new mouton wool lap robe for $35.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 12:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
To John Brinegar - for what it's worth - my R9 overdrive is now working very well, after we replaced the set of points in the solenoid.

Max Merritt Auto had 'em in-stock.

You and I were in the same spot, with missing parts, corroded wiring, etc., but it's definitely worth the time, money & efforts, as my '47 Clipper 6 cylinder now drives great at cruising speeds.

Hang-in-there !

Thanks again to everyone who visits this awesome website !

Best regards,

Dave Blandford

Posted on: 2012/10/23 16:08
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
HH56 - I went and tried my solenoid with jumper cables to the battery . It seem to work fine (did get a few sparks ). I tried with both 3 and 4 connected to power- worked, Then I tried with just the pull in # 4 connected and got the machine gun effect. So. guess that part is OK. Should I be concerned about the other two contacts ( The "Ground Out" contacts and the "Indicator Light " contacts.? Should I try to clean them or assume they are ok too. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/10/23 19:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John Brinegar,
Catching up with many posts after my US trip and would like to you to PackardInfo.

And.....I invite you to include your '48 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/10/23 19:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good news the solenoid is working.

The other contacts are very low current so probably in good shape. The pull in coil disconnect is the one that gets the heavy use as you noticed with the sparking. It would be a good idea just to see it's condition and decide if it's pitted enough you want to start looking for a replacement contact kit.

Remove the 4 terminal screws completely and then the two nuts on end. Cover will slide off. The light and ground out contacts are at the end of plunger and the pull in contact is just behind the coil toward the middle.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 19:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved