Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 138

Ozstatman, Todd W. White, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door Gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
When I bought my 54 Cavalier about a year ago it came with some spare parts in the trunk.

There were two boxes containing the door gaskets which I installed over this past weekend, one on the driver's door and one on the back.

The gaskets are attached to the actual door and are glued in place. I used 3M black trim and gasket glue which held them on nicely. I picked the worst two doors as that is all the gaskets I had.

I know some of the gaskets are available from the parts venders in complete sets which I haven't gotten into yet.

Each of the four doors have a more specialized gasket that is attached to the door pillar that seals the front of each door, don't know if you can buy these.

The old gasket on the driver's door had a metal strip imbedded in the bottom side which had tabs up into the bottom of the door. The rear door did not. I suppose the metal strip will never be in reproduction gasket material. I also sealed the rubber seal for the wing windows.

My goal was to get rid of water leaks which eventually get onto the inside door panels and leave stains.

The new gaskets make the doors a little harder to close and I wonder if any of you have had the experience and how long before the new gaskets finally compress a little.

I will also say a bunch of rattles have disappeared like magic.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/10/8 14:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Door Gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Steele has both the front and rear door hinge pillar weatherstrips. Believe they are only sold as a pair. When I bought mine years ago, the metal was not present so was a combination of screws and cement holding it on. Kanter might have them also and I believe I read somewhere he has a different company that manufactures his rubber.

There must be different formulations for the rubber and I do believe Steele's door stuff might be a bit on the stiff side. My doors still close a bit hard after 20 years. There are some other companies like Metro Molded Parts that make a similar profile and might have a different feel. I used one of their universal products on another car and it was fairly soft.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 14:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved