Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

Packard Don, Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"wrong" generator & regulator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
When ordering a new voltage reulator I was told that the 47 Custom Super used an Autolite system. Mine has a Delco generator (1100002 7E17) with an unmarked Voltage Regulator that appears to be a Delco clone.
Does it matter if I stick with the Delco system? Somewhere in my feeble mind I recall differences in Amp requirements between models, and wondering if I am running the wrong system.
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/10/17 19:44
 Top  Print   

Re: "wrong" generator & regulator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
21st Specs are in the 46-50 SM - Section 5 - Engine - starting about page 49. It gives both Delco and Autolite but doesn't differentiate as to which model gets which. The parts manual does break it down a bit more as to which model gets which.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 19:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Howard,
I guess I still don't know the SM well enough - I knew I had generator data somewhere. Still a mystery though. In the parts book, Model 2126 calls for Auto-Lite, and the model number other models in the 21st and 22nd series Delco's don't match with what's in the car. The voltage regulator certainly looks nearly new and is of the Delco configuration. I think a call to Jason at AER is in order to sort this out.
All the best,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have a Delco charging system in a 2126, it's been changed somewhere along the line from the original Autolite equipment. But as long as the regulator was also changed to be compatible with the generator, the system will function just fine.

By all means give Jason a call, he's recently been very helpful to me on a Dyneto generator control situation.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Owen,
Your posts about troubleshooting the charging system have been extremely helpful. Jason should be able to tell me what regulator I need to be compatible with this model generator. I guess you never know what sort of things have been monkeyed with in these old cars. I'm curious to find out what applications this generator belongs to.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Mark has contacted me on this issue a couple times. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I should have a regulator on it's way to him soon hopefully.

I did some brief research and really didn't come out with much more info than I had. I'll sum it up for those who are interested.
-Delco 1100002 w/ date code of 7E17 fits 1937 Oldsmobile.
-1948 Delco book only shows a few switches and relays for model 2126, so I'd agree that it had an Autolite originally
-1949 Autolite book shows four different generators depending on model, but doesn't show model 2126 specifically.

Talk to you in the morning, Mark.

Jason

Posted on: 2012/10/17 23:31
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Specifications for the 21st Series 7 Pass. Sedan and Limousine can be found in Service Counselor Vol. 21 No. 6 from March 15, 1947.
Original equipment generator for chassis 2126 was a 35 Amp Auto-Lite GEA-4802A which is the same as used for the 21st Series Super and Custom Super Clippers with the 356 engine.

I suspect that the Oldsmobile generator might have a lower current rating.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 1:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I've decided not to rely on the NOS regulators. Instead, I bought from NAPA or CarQuest (don't really remember). The Borg Warner # is R118. Car Quest #(VR2) and the NAPA #(VR25). Any of those three regulators will work on your car.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 11:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, does your comment mean any of the 3 will work with the correct Autolite generator, or the currently installed Delco generator?

Just another though, I'm assuring the 37 Olds generator must have had a pulley for a narrower fan belt than the 356 engine. Was the fan pulley changed, or the generator pulley? I don't see how the 37 Olds generator would have been compatible with a 356 without one or the other having been changed.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 11:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Technically that regulator will work with both the original Autolite and Delco since they are the same "A" circuit set up. Autolites and Delcos were primarily "A" circuit and most Fords were"B" circuit. There are exceptions for all, but generally they were setup as that. The "A" & "B" circuit simply indicates wether the field coils are connected to Armature or Ground inside the generator. On an "A" circuit, you ground the field terminal to full field the generator and on a "B" circuit, you hook field to Armature or Battery/Output to full field.

I sell an American or Import regulator to replace yours, let me know.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 11:50
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved