Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 31 »

ZIS 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd guess it's been at least 25 or 30 years since Packard aficionados learned that the Russian ZIS-110 was not made from Packard-supplied body dies or parts, yet they retain a keen interest for many of us. Though at distance they are a somewhat faithful copy from the A-pillars forward of the 1942 senior Packard, few if any parts are truly identical; the dashboard and motor are very Packard-like yet the rear end styling is clearly GM-inspired.

I thought you might enjoy a picture of the ZIS engine which I've copied from a recent issue of the Swedish publication ?Nostalgia?. Despite the obvious similarity, I'm told the engine block is about ? longer and thus such parts as blocks, cylinder heads, head gaskets, crankshafts, manifolds, camshafts, etc. do not interchange. Apparently deep-reach spark plugs were also used in the engine.

This engine is owed by a Mr. Johan Berg of Sweden who in addition to his 1937 Packard 120 convertible coupe and 1955 Clipper, owns two ZIS-110s, a limo and an ambulance. Thru the kindness of PAC National Director Ole Book of New Jersey, I'll have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Berg in Stockholm in a few weeks. Hopefully I'll learn what that odd item is on the engine right side above the oil pump, and will report back here in as much detail as I can about the ZIS and Mr. Berg's Packards.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.96 KB)
177_484b0e88671da.jpg 800X650 px

Posted on: 2008/6/7 17:41
 Top  Print 

Re: ZIS 110
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

I can't wait to here back your report and see more pictures!

Posted on: 2008/6/7 17:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen wrote: 'Hopefully I'll learn what that odd item is on the engine right side above the oil pump, and will report back here in as ...'

AC connexions maybe???? Maybe block heater connexions. Ask if any of the Zis's had fuel fired air conditioning. I'd be most interested in learning the details of such and AC system.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 23:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" I'm told the engine block is about ? longer and thus such parts as blocks, cylinder heads, head gaskets, crankshafts, manifolds, camshafts, etc. do not interchange. Apparently deep..."

The 1/2 inch increase in block length means nothing. Center-to-Center of the cylinder bores is important. Even still, with 8 cylinders and a 1/2 inch difference means only 1/16 wider spacing on the cylinders. NOT desireable for parts interchange but probably no hill for a stepper to overcome, especialy for any German, Russian or even Limey gerry-rigg eng'ring. I don't know

Posted on: 2008/6/7 23:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1/2 inch difference is block length means one thing for sure, head gaskets and cylinder heads DO NOT interchange.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 7:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If someone makes a cardboard patern of a Packard head or top of block (even just the front 2 or rear 2 cylinders) and sent it to someone with a ZIS to lay on their head or block would certainly negate the interchangeablity of parts or command a further investigation.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 9:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here's another question to ponder:

Where does the Swede get his Zis parts from????? THings like head gaskets. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Golly Gee, i wonder!.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 9:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hopefully I'll be better able to answer your question when I return. The ZIS-110 ambulance is serving as a parts donor for the limo, and I understand that there are stashes of OEM ZIS parts here and there in Russia and other places. Of course getting head gaskets made is not a problem, though not necessarily cheap, as long as you have a pattern.

The picture from the same magazine article provides a bit of a comparison of the ZIS head (right) to a Packard 356 head.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.41 KB)
177_484bf86cde498.jpg 407X800 px

Posted on: 2008/6/8 10:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The difference in length might be due to the Russian's use of the Metric system maybe? I'm not sure if they used the Metric system, but it's a thought.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 14:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Think the thing with a handle attached to oil pump is oil filter remember seeing a Cono or Kumo not sure of spelling used on older cars oil passed thru set of thin steel discs to clean oil you turned the T handles which turned plates which were wiped by similar set inside the housing this type of filter was used on oil systems on late 30 early 40 cars remember seeing picture of same in old motors manual that my fatheer had also he had one of those filters on a Studebaker he had after WW2 can't remember the spelling but do remember helping take filter apart and cleaningn Normal cleaning only required a few turns of the T handle on top of filter. Will look for manual and pictures later

Posted on: 2008/6/8 16:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved