Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 124

Don Shields, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: If you are under sixty, how did you get interested in Packards?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I am 25 I have had a love for cars for a long time and have had my mind
on a restoration since I could drive. I have had a lot of new Chevy
products new like a 2004 Silverado SS and a 2011 Camaro and right after
I sold the Camaro, I got bored with it and everyone and their brother
had one, I was looking at cars on the Volo Auto Museum site. I was
dreaming of some day what I could have! Lol There I came across my
clipper it was all original and in my price range and a week later it
was in my garage! That being said I knew nothing about Packard I had
heard of Packard but can't say I ever knew anything about them. I knew
the big three and other current manufactures but nothing of Packard,
Nash, and many others. I Learn more and more each and every day from
this forum and hopefully I will have enough $ to have her back on the
road by spring! Most in my generation don't appreciate the past they are
to focused on the present and future! I will admit I had thoughts of
hotrodding the clipper when I first got it but after learning more no
need to worry she is going to be put back to her original beauty as she
was when she rolled out of the factory!

Posted on: 2012/10/29 9:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

azclassiccoach
See User information
My names Mike and Im 30 years old, I got a 1964 chevy pickup for my 16th birthday that had a bad motor, since then I have enjoyed working on old cars I have a 56 cadillac, 57 bel air four door hardtop,a 64 chevrolet pickup and a 48 Packard super eight. My wife saw the packard online and wanted to look at it for 4,500. We looked at it but i wasnt willing to pay even close to that for another project, a few months later the gentleman with the packard called me and told me it had to be gone by the weekend and i could have it for $500, it also hapend to be my wifes birthday so i bought it for her.Since working on the Packard I have lost intrest in all the other projects and have been lookig for other packards when this one done.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 10:38
Mike
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I'm nearer to 60 than I feel, 56 to be exact, but my interests in Packards began with the first car that I can remember. My father bought new one of the last Packards for sale in San Jose,CA (a model 5672A 56 Executive 4-door, colorcode DA). Growing up the car took a beating of four rambunkious kids. You can imagine the condition in which we left the car. He sold it in '68 due to the hard to find Packard parts (no internet or PackardInfo!).

My father passed away in 1984 and had I found that car, I would've liked to get it back, no matter what condition it was in. I did the next best thing and found a model 5672A colorcode BA, in great condition, so I bought it. After receiving that car's build sheet, it left the factory on my father's 29th birthday (24 March 1956)

Posted on: 2012/10/29 11:16
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I am a boomer a couple of years under 60. The main reason I became interested in Packards is that it was the car my parents had when I was growing up. My parents always kept a car for a long time, in the case of their 1953 Packard Clipper, from 1953 to 1962, so I had a chance to remember it. As a seven year old I thought it was terrible that my parents would sell it, like selling a member of the family. The plastic Packard coat of arms on the front grille had come off and my Dad let me keep it as a remembrance. I still have it. Also, I am generally interested in cars, old cars particularly, history and antiques.
Ken

Posted on: 2012/10/29 11:43
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi,
Great question! I am 51, and I grew up looking at my grandfather's 1929 Seven Passenger Sedan sitting in my father's garage. I have never heard the engine run...it threw a water pump shaft in 1956 on the drive to California. When dad died, I inherited it, and I started working on it in earnest last year. I hope my son doesn't have to wonder what it is like to ride in this grand old lady.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I'm 44. I had grown up visiting my grandparents house often, as they lived in the same neighborhood. The old "Packer" had been sitting in the dirt floor garage (that my grandfather built around the car) back in '58. ...the last time it moved. (still has the 1958 Chicago city sticker on it). For years we crawled over the bumper to get to the other side of the garage to get into his '62 LeSabre.

By the time he passed away in '87, I learned that it was a "Packard". ...and I inherited it.

It has been a long projet as life's things tend to get in the way. I hope to be done with it before I turn 50!

Mark

Posted on: 2012/10/29 16:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

oldcarguygazok
See User information
Well, i scraped in under the radar.I wanted a 3w coupe,a car that was built well,appealing and affordable.I did my homework,staying away from GM built cars,which i already have,it had to be different,that's just me,i can't be like joe blow,the 37 3w i recently purchased was all that and more TMO,i'm very pleased and work on restoring it has just begun,thanks Gaz!

Posted on: 2012/10/29 17:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
Since my last name is Packard I thought I should own one!! I often told my wife and children that some day I would buy a '55 Packard (the year I was born). So when the chance came along I took it. I was never really that much of a "car guy" but since purchasing my Clipper Custom I enjoy working on it and bringing it back to her former glory. It is such fun to drive, I don't know how many times I have gotten the "thumbs up" from guys on Harleys and others while driving the Clipper!! I am also intrigued by the history behind Packard. They are just a fun car to own and drive!

Posted on: 2012/10/29 19:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
51 years young here. I grew up in a relatively small town in Oregon. The big dealers in town were Chevrolet and Ford. The Chrysler dealer seemed to always be fledgling. We had a Studebaker-Packard dealership, but it was wiped out during a rather infamous blast in the middle of town in 1958. Dad (who is now 84) always had Chryslers. HIS dad always had Chryslers. My mother's dad always had Chryslers. So, I have always had Chryslers, plus many others. Dad always extolled the fact that Packards were special cars - not everyone could own one. The local transmission guy - a crusty cantankerous sort - had nothing good to say about Ultramatics "Them things is junk - stay away from them heaps" (He said the same thing about Dynaflows too, lol)

Of course, I was born after Packard died out, so to see one was a real treat. I have always wanted one, but could never settle on what year. I knew I couldn't afford a pre-war model. The 48-50 seemed the most plentiful around, but I wanted a special one. Really wanted a 55 400 hardtop. Been close over the years, but never took the plunge. Five years ago, I started looking in earnest. Had a little cash saved - went to an estate auction that had three Packards! A 1937 "baby" Packard, a 1947 Clipper and a 49 Packard. Got outbid every time. Discouragement set in. Looked on Craigslist. Looked on eBay. Looked at a 53 sedan. Got sold out from under me. Looked at a 54 Clipper - too much rust. Looked at a 55 clipper - way too much rust. Finally I gave up. Life happened, money went elsewhere - and so it goes....
I told a buddy, who told a buddy that I was looking for a Packard.
"A Packard? Well I have one I'll sell" So, after several dead ends, I finally have a Packard. It's a 1951 Patrician. Needs everything, but it's MY Packard. Dad is pretty impressed "Oh, you know, not everyone can own one of those - and a PATRICIAN? Those were mighty special cars in their day". My girlfriend calls it "The Beast". I may never get it done, I may never show it, but I think it's pretty special too.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I'm close to 60 and saw my first Clipper when I was around 6 years old (1960) It was a '56 if I remember right. Then when I was in Jr High there was a '51 for sale in front of a factory that I walked by every day on the way to school. (1969) It ran and the owner wanted $100 for it. Dad saw it one day as we drove by and said "nope you can't even buy tires for something like that.." As it turned out a classmate bought it a few years later! That and another one. I don't know if he ever got them running. I've since moved away from my hometown. I have a "55 Clipper that needs lots of work. I'm doing work on it as time allows.. this past Summer time didn't allow at all..LOL

Posted on: 2012/10/29 22:23
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved