Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Billh40, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Parts List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello All. I'm looking at the parts manual for my 49 Deluxe. I am trying to determine the part number for my wheel cylinders. I understand that the vertical row of numbers on the very left of the page are the part numbers. How does one use the info in the next colum over to determine the car. Mine is a 2362 with body number 2301. Thanks for your assistance.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 4:33
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Use the chassis number (2301) for brakes

Posted on: 2012/11/8 5:13
Dan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Would you mind checking if I have done this properly?
Front left 302948, and right is 302949
Rear left 302050, and right 302951.

Do I use the the chassis number the same way throughout the manual?

Thanks again for your help.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 9:27

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Use the chassis # (2301) for chassis parts.

Use the body # (2362) for body parts.

There is a chart in the very beginning of the parts manual that correlates body and chassis #s.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

DeluxCanuck wrote:
Would you mind checking if I have done this properly?
Front left 302948, and right is 302949
Rear left 302050, and right 302951.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, those are the correct Packard part numbers although you may have better luck finding a modern replacement with the following Wagner Brake numbers:

Front left FD 2754, right FD 2755
Rear left FD 2863, right FD 2864

The original wheel cylinders have a brass fitting that mates with the inverted flare connection for the 1/4" brake tubing and threads into a machine screw thread on the cylinder.

Most modern replacement cylinders come tapped for a 3/16" inverted flare connection, so an adapter as mentioned in the Parts X-Ref will need to be used to connect with the 1/4" brake lines.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I have tried the Wagner numbers and the guys at NAPA had no listing. Doesn't mean there not out there or a cross reference. Half the fun is the search. I need to replace the front ones as I currently have one that is stuck.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 22:55

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I still need some help for wheel cylinders for my car. I did an internet search using the wagner numbers that BDeb provided with not much sucess. Only to the fact that they chase back to now being part of Federal Mogul. I contacted them with those numbers. Here is what I got back in the e-mail. Quote - I am sorry, but the wheel cylinder casting numbers you gave below do not interchange to any current product, also check by application and we do not offer any wheel cylinders, did show some wheel cylinder repair kit, but you will need to call the Federal-Mogul Techline at 800-325-8886 and press option 2, as there are other question to see if we offer the right kits.

So I guess my next question is, if replacement cylinders are not being purchased from the Packard sellers and going after market, per se, like NAPA, then what numbers are being used to buy them? I can buy wheel cylinders for more modern cars for about $20.00 each. I have a hard time accepting that a wheel cylinder for my 49 is 45.00. I just want to explore all my options here in Ontario before I go another direction. Already looked in to sleeving. Absolutly a stupid price. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 18:53

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
LF Napa 7536, RF 7537.

LR 9025, RR 9026

rears will each need a tube adapter, NAPA 7828 to mate to the 1/4" brake tubing.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Ross - Thank you. I will be calling NAPA tomorrow with these numbers. I was on their web site and found it all. The next logical question, to me and my addled brain anyway, is what about brake shoes. If I may impose, do you have numbers for them also? Thanks again. Really appreciate the cylinder info.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 20:57

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I was also was at a lost to keep the original or buy new for my 47. So I decided to keep the original and have them rebuilt. I went withhttp://www.whitepost.com/ , lifetime warranty. Got the units back looked as good as new and bolted right back on with no problems. They also changed out the old bleed screws and sent back the old bleed screws. Since I sent in all four plus Master cylinder they didn't charged S/H.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/11/13 8:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved