Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 248

BigKev, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Black Substance in Gasoline
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave L
See User information
My '36 Packard has sat for a year with stabilized fuel. I have recently noticed that a black greasy substance collects in the glass bowl of the fuel pump when the electric pump is operated. When bowl is cleaned and fresh fuel is pumped into bowl, fuel becomes dark, almost black with little sediment -like fragments.
The tank was sealed a number of years ago with Bill Hirsch sealer.

Can anyone help! Could this be ethanol related? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave L

Posted on: 2012/11/12 22:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Black Substance in Gasoline
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Did you use rubber hoses to connect the electric pump to the fuel line? If so, were they compatible with ethanol fuel??

Posted on: 2012/11/13 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Dave, I have had several electric fuel pumps that the diagphram actually melted from the modern fuel. The fuel will also have the same affect on rubber fuel lines. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/11/13 9:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave L
See User information
Thanks for your ideas-I will following through with your suggestions, I understand that many states-mine included (NY) will be increasing ethanol to 15% . I wonder what the future will bring?

Dave

Posted on: 2012/11/14 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anything is possible with regulations but as it's currently proposed the 15% ethanol would be in addition to other grades, and not a replacement for the 10% product we've all come to hate. As a practical matter not many gas stations are in a position to add a 4th grade of gasoline, however. Another fine example of governmental poor science and distorted (or ignored) economics.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved