Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 »

Re: Wes's Maroon 1947 Custom Super Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Shouldn't there be a sheet metal shield between the fuel pump and exhaust manifold??

Posted on: 2020/10/22 19:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Yes, Packard offered one...I don't know if it was an extra or not...but many things were offered as extras...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/10/22 20:08
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
PTV and Ernie good catch, I didn't noticed that. I can pull one off my rust bucket next time I go to the farm.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/10/22 20:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I noticed the missing heat shield too and as far as I know, they all had it.

Posted on: 2020/10/22 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Don't know about the 8's, but on my 6 they have the fuel line routed up around the front of the heat shield and over to the carb.

Posted on: 2020/10/23 8:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the 356 the pump outlet is in the back. There is a bend in the tubing to bring it away from the engine so it can route upward over the outside edge of the shield. If the shield in your parts car is missing or in bad shape John Ulrich has repro shields. Unfortunately he does not repro the manifold carb shield.

Attach file:

jpg  (165.63 KB)
209_5f92e3ab65b8b.jpg 1170X942 px

Posted on: 2020/10/23 9:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes Howard, it looks like I'll have to rebend the fuel line once I get a shield. At least I do have the upper shield so I'm good there.
Thanks for the help!
Wes
p.s. At least I'm not using clothes pins ;^).

Attach file:

jpg  (212.03 KB)
1003_5f92eea5316c7.jpg 933X1920 px

jpg  (232.83 KB)
1003_5f92ef1c6d4c4.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2020/10/23 9:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, wrapping the pump to carb fuel line is probably over kill. This line is pressurized and not prone to vapor lock. Vapor lock will occur in the suction side of the fuel pump and the fuel bowl of the carb. The shield - missing on your Clipper - is intended to keep heat away from the pump. My Custom Clipper also had a small sheet metal shield under the carb along with a thick insulating gasket. Does your Clipper have these?

Also, you may want to consider installing an insulation kit for the pump. It consists of a thick insulating gasket between the pump and block, insulating sleeves for the bolt holes and insulating washers that go next to the pump and under the steel flat washers.

All this will help but not fully prevent vapor lock.

I had good luck adding a gallon of diesel fuel to a tank of gasoline. This stopped the vapor locking in my Custom Clipper in hot and humid Austin weather and heavy stop and go traffic. No noticeable side effects from the diesel fuel were noted.

Posted on: 2020/10/23 13:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well I just want to thank everyone for all the input and help, I really appreciate all the help.
Today was one of those Good Days, Bad Days. I was thinking this would be a good time to fix a few small things. Removing a Speedometer is not one of them. getting the lower screw out had me thinking is is going to be a piece of cake. Needless to say it wasn't and then the clouds started moving in so after thinking this will not be so easy I started to put it back together. One of the good things was I did disconnect the battery while working, that is after I saw my first spark. I had removed the horns to get to the rubber grommet where the cables were. Got that hooked back up but at the same time knocked off the linkage to the gas pedal. So with all the screws back in place, time to do a test run and see if anything had changed. Started to start it up and notice the started would labor every time I would let up on the gas pedal and the engine didn't not start. I got out and found the linkage for the pedal was lying down on the starter. I went to grab it to put it back and I got the shock of my life. The rod was acting as a ground and was very hot. Ran and got my 1/2 inch wrench to remove the negative cable. But now that I think of it since the key was off the and I wasn't cranking there would be no more current going though it. But I wasn't thing just reacting to burnt fingers. So with power removed I went to pickup the linkage with the other hand, wrong move! Still very hot but this time no burn, I let go very quick this time. So got a pair of pliers and hooked the linkage back up. So time to checkout the rest of my fixes.
Started right up, going around the block and didn't look like the speedometer wasn't working but the faster I went, it started showing a speed. Now I put on my turn signal, I could here the relay clicking but no light flashing in the speedometer, Left or Right. I guess I must had knock a wire loose while working in there. But at least the outside signals were working. It started to sprinkle so I tried to turn on the wipers, no luck. Another wire must have gotten knocked loose.
Got back to the house and shut off the engine, temperature gauge showed in the middle, so I figure this would be a good check on starting a hot engine. Tried it and it started up, so maybe I did make some head way. Well pulled it in the garage and figure I will work on removing the the speedometer after my finger fells better. Having a little Jack tonight to help the pain. Staring to feel better.

Oh, I got to check the Kick-Down switch, works great now! At least one solid fix.

Maybe need to change this Blog to the Adventures of Wes! or maybe Misadventures of Wes!.

Thanks all for the your help!
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (108.94 KB)
1003_5f938ab82c8a7.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2020/10/23 21:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I got the speedometer out, I don't think I'll be able to put it back in like it came out. Now need to fine someone to send it to to get it overhauled and get it back in a timely manner.
Also posting some photos of the speedometer. Four indications Left, Right, High Beam and Overdrive.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (113.75 KB)
1003_5fa49503c6aa7.jpg 1920X933 px

jpg  (163.92 KB)
1003_5fa49519863b6.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2020/11/5 19:13
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved