Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Normally I'm on the Prewar Forum discussing my 1940 Packard with a 356 engine. However, just opened distributor to replace points for the first time and found I have a model IGP5402E distributor form a 1954 Packard! Getting the points which are different from the ones in the original model IGT 4102 is not a problem. The problem is adjusting the timing. The hold down bracket which has two bolt holes (one round the other elongated) seems to be fixed to the distributor outer casing. To have any adjustment at all for the timing, the bolt in the round hole has to be left out, which is what the previous owner did, and am limited to the adjustment allowed by the other elongate bolt hole, is this correct?
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/20 14:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
This is the Autolite distributor where the vacuum chamber turns the entire distibutor? In which case, just loosen the screw that fixes the vac advance pull-rod to the bracket on the periphery of the dist. body and rotate the dist. to achieve your desired timing. Retighten the screw. With this style there is no need to move the bracket bolted to the engine block.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 19:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Thank you! After your information about loosing the vacuum advance screw , setting the timing was easy. Guess I looked right at it and just didn't make the connection. The previous owned apparently didn't either, which was the reason he obviously elongated one of the block fastening bolt holes and left the second bolt out all together in an effort to achieve just a little timing adjustment.
Thanks again

Posted on: 2012/11/21 20:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved