Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 183

Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Halogen lamps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ran across a test by Consumer Reports on performance of Halogen bulbs - both between brands and compared to standard bulbs. While they acknowledge an increase in light output vs standard bulbs, the distance the beam is useful had not really changed.

Just curious if that is the finding of those who have converted their cars or was there a significant enough improvement to make it worth doing again on your next car.

IMO, if the light is useful at only the same distance, you are just as likely to be in the same situation as far as seeing and avoiding hitting something. You will still hit it -- just see it better while you do it.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/do-high-priced-halogen-headlight-bulbs-shine-brighter--210841757.html

Posted on: 2012/11/23 9:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Halogen lamps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard, if you get "Skinned Knuckles" or can borrow a copy you may find the article in the current issue about headlamps, including halogens, worthwhile. I could copy it for you and snail mail if you wish. I put halogens in my 56 Carib some 10 years ago so the comparison isn't fresh in my mind but they were brighter and whiter and certainly nightime vision was improved though I have no recollection about the reach of the beam.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Dave. I get SK but the current issue is still in the pile waiting it's turn. Your reply does make sense and I was just getting ready to amend my post with a question when your response came.

The CR article comparison was done on modern cars so that was the question I was going to add -- how they compared to the old sealed beams. I'd still be curious on the distance if anyone else noticed a difference.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 10:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. The halogen vs standard may very well become a marketing ploy. When FIRST introduced the hal's may have been made to produce a better lite beam in all aspects. The idea at THAT TIME was to convince change from standard. Now that the hal's are common place perhaps they are less quality than 15 to 20 years ago.

Enter the Xenon's.

OR to put it another way:
Consider the 6v vs 12v claims. Disk vs drums. e-ignition vs points.

I have hal's here that after 8 years the 'silvering " has worn off. Which means that the hal's slowly lost lite beam quality. On the other hand i have old sealed beams from as long ago as the late 1950's, maybe earllier. Still with new mirror quality reflectors.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 12:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Howard, This is maybe not quite what you are looking for but I installed Bosch H-4 conversion units in my 6 volt '47 Super Clipper and used 6 volt H-4 halogen bulbs from J.C. Whitney. The brightness was very obvious with a whiter light and the light pattern was very defined with a sharp cutoff in front and wider to the right side. It was a dramatic improvement for these old eyes!

Posted on: 2012/11/23 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How long ago did u install the halogens??? And i'm guessing price difference between the halogens and standard is probably staggering too. Altho, any modern repop 6v's mite not last long either. So it is difficult to determine.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 20:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It is not uncommon in everyday nitetime travels to see rather modern cars with one headlite rather darker or odd or discolored than the other. Can often be noticed during daytime just looking at the headlites when they are off. It is because the silvering is failing.

Or maybe i expect too much from headlites in terms of longevity. I expect them to burn out before they go dim.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Replaced the originals (Davis?) in mine. There was a noticeable improvement IMHO.

You are welcome to the older bulbs---if you come and get them.....

Posted on: 2012/11/23 21:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Purchased Halogen bulbs for my 51 Patrician 400 from Bill Hirsch and have been very pleased with their performance. Strongly recommend this update for those of us who drive our Packard.

Posted on: 2012/11/24 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
The halogens from Bill Hirsch are definitely brighter than the original bulbs as tested with a light meter. I am not sure that the collimated beam goes any farther forward, but the extent of brightness over its reach appears much improved.

Even if the distance of useful light for the driver is the same, the brighter bulbs will definitely help other vehicles see the car. So, in my opinion, a worthwhile safety upgrade for both head -and- tail lights.

Cheers,

Tom

p.s. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 11:52
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved