Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Will the side mirror from a 55-56 Packard fit my '51
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I was looking at the side mirrors for the 55-56 and they are mounted in a different location but seem to be the same style of mirror. Is this the only difference is the mounting location and I would be able to mount those mirrors on the beltline of my 51?
The first picture is one of my sides with the mirror

Attach file:

jpg  (119.80 KB)
3759_50b1c7596aba5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (69.23 KB)
3759_50b1c81bb1c50.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/11/25 2:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Will the side mirror from a 55-56 Packard fit my '51
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
The second picture looks like the original mirrors that Packard offered as an accessory for for 1955 Packards. As to where they or it can be placed, that's entirely up to you.

My very personal opinion is that these old original mirrors lend little to rear views. Thus, after I restored my 400, I decided to NOT replace the mirrors onto my new paint and bodywork. And given the laws here in Arizona, my decision not to replace is acceptable. Your State's laws may vary.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 4:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Kevin,

How about a picture?

Craig

Posted on: 2012/11/25 5:18
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 51-4 mirror's base is contoured to match the profile of the molding. 55-6 are not. Will probably wobble unless you grind the base. Those things go for a pot of money so I wouldn't recommend that.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 6:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Ross hit the nail on the head. The mirrors look alike but the curvature of the base is different on the V-8s. American Arrow Corp. in Clawson, Michigan makes both styles.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 9:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
oregonstan -

At a glance, the base of the mirror shown in the 55-56 mirror.jpg image of your opening post looks more like the 51-54 type to me.

Note the rear locating peg on the bottom; this is NOT used 55-56.

Also, I see a lock washer on the mounting screw, which is NOT used 55-56.

Now, I've not installed or removed a 51-54 mirror, but only studied the diagrams in this site's archive, which are of rather low resolution. Previously, I thought this was a flange- or washer-head screw, but upon further inspection of the cross-section detail, it just might be that a split-lock washer was used in conjunction with the special machine-threaded screw.

BTW, if you can remove that screw without breaking anything, I'm sure BigKev would appreciate a detail shot - maybe some measurements, as well - as he landed a good used mirror for his 54 Clipper, earlier this year, but it was missing that screw.

Meanwhile, another distinguishing characteristic between 51-54 and 55-56 mirror is where the base meets the mirror head. For 51-54, the rear end of the "bullet" is cut on a SLANT because the stem, when mounted to the belt molding, lays in a horizontal plane. However, for 55-56 it's cut SQUARE because the stem, which is mounted slightly lower and on the body of the door, stands more upright - else the mirror can't be adjusted to see much of anything, except the road surface. After I clicked on your image and zoomed in, I can see the stem is cut on a slant.

Therefore, the mirror shown in your 55-56 mirror.jpg is actually for a 51-54.

I've made it a point to learn these details because I got STUCK with an incorrect mirror from American Arrow some 25 years ago. When my order arrived and I opened the box, I was dissappointed to find that the edge of the mirror glass was sticking out of the crimped shell and the base had the rear locating peg. I contacted the supplier and was told to ship the mirror to them for correction, which I did. When the mirror came back to me, the glass had been secured, but the shell was damaged, with a prominent ding/gouge. I called to complain about this AND the incorrect base design, and was told that's the mold was made from an OE mirror from a 56 Caribbean, with no offer of any further assistance. A couple years, later a Packard parts vendor at a club-sponsored swap meet even tried to sell me the wrong style mirror for my car, which he obtained from American Arrow. Maybe they've learned something, in the years since, but I got SCREWED with an EXPENSIVE mirror that is NOT suitable for the purpose for which it was intended - unlike the original.

Caveat emptor!

Posted on: 2012/11/25 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
A picture of what Craig?

Posted on: 2012/11/25 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Just spoke with Craig on the telephone. I'm sorry to say that I no longer have the accessory mirrors for the 55 Packard. I sold them on ebay when I decided not to mount them.

Here however are some pictures of what the mirrors looked like when I purchased the car back in 1998. Back then, I purchased Patricians from 1953 and 1955 (I haven't rational clue what I was thinking at the time) with my father in law with the hopes of restoring a car. The pictures are from scans completed today. I didn't have a digital camera back then.

As sorta seen, these mirrors were positioned forward of the front door on the fender ridge if memory serves me correctly.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.87 KB)
20_50b291f3a1c03.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (85.10 KB)
20_50b2920490d37.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (91.48 KB)
20_50b2923adc916.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (100.27 KB)
20_50b293ece2e51.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2012/11/25 16:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
These are 51-54 Mirrors:

Attach file:

jpg  (204.68 KB)
1_50b3c6ea0d7f8.jpg 1920X1082 px

Posted on: 2012/11/26 14:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
Seems like from what is being said the seller may be mistaken and the one that is posted for sale is a 51-54 and not the 55-56 that they are saying? These come on sale few and far between although just want to ensure that it is the right item, otherwise I'll have a paper weight. It seems I was slow on the draw lost out on this one too. I'm considering replacing the stainless molding to not have side view mirrors just don't know if I should.
Bigkev that is some nice chrome work on those mirrors and if one is the one you picked up from Ebay that is a nice restoration.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 0:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved