Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

52 Packard potential purchase
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I found this car for sale last night. The owner has had it for 4 months. He says that it is a 51 300, with a number on the title of 2556 73573. I know that it is a 52 300, but the numbers look scrambled to me. I guess you could get the Patrician gravel guards as an option.

I think it should be a 2572. Any assistance or comments?

Attach file:

jpg  (174.88 KB)
1679_50c4e66c12f9f.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (175.61 KB)
1679_50c4e67d5aecd.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/12/9 14:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 52 Packard potential purchase
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The trunk emblem is 51 and it has the 51 hood letters. I'd ask more questions about the numbers or better yet see if you can get the motor, Briggs or door pillar info. I don't even see a 2556 as being available. Maybe something happened and a new title was invented by one of the "titles are us" sites.

While I suppose the gravel shields may have been an option for lower series cars since they have the L in front of part number, the manual doesn't specifically indicate it.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 15:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Ask what the serial number on the drivers door post says. There should also be a Briggs number plate on the firewall that would confirm the model number.

Quite a mixed bag of trim with the normal 300 stainless strips on the rear door and fender but the gravel shield from a 400 on the lower rear door as well but without the matching stainless trim on the fender.

Also, the hood ornament has the swept back wings from 1952.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
David, at the expense of sounding harsh, I'd recommend you walk away from this car. In addition to the comments here, the overall sense I get is that it's ownership has been unsympathetic: There's just too much Frankencar here, it offends my sensibilities, and I'd be concerned that the same lack of regard for the obvious would extend to the things not readily apparent, like the mechanicals.

As an owner of a '54, I can readily understand the desirability of an early '50's...fortunately there are enough good examples out there, it might be best to wait and watch, there's one that represents not only a fine (and in my opinion, undervalued) era, but also one that comes from an owner who appreciates that as well.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 19:01
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'm beginning to get the same vibe myself. I've attached a photo of the
interior. The story is that some fellow from Columbus Ohio trailered the car to Idaho to trade it in on some RV, and the guy who owns it now is willing to sell it for $6400. Somehow it is starting to smell funny.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.08 KB)
1679_50c5277189bdc.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/12/9 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My brother went out to look at the car in Boise ID, and it is a bit rougher than it looks on Craig's List. . The interior is very clean, and the car supposedly has only 43,000 miles on it. However, I'm going to pass on it and concentrate on my present projects. I have a bunch of photos if anyone wants them. Thanks for the input guys.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The interior looks to be very nice. The body in the photos looks to be nice too. The added Patrician rear door trim and the later model, more attractive, hood ornament can be easily remedied. Lots of money can be spent on interior and body work, but this car seems to need very little of that. It is a 1951. It might be worth reconsidering if you can sort out the numbers discrepancy.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/9 22:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Must agree with JW . . . . looks like a reasonable car (from a distance, via photos). As the owner of a '51 I can say that it is imperative to check in the 51's for bad rust in the floor, rear quarters and sills.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Dave, If you have viewed the body and interior, and are reasonably confident the engine/Trans are good (being relative), then all the additions that make this 51 200 something different can easily be changed. After all, the major jobs on old cars, in no particular order, engine/trans, interior and bodywork/paint, are the the greatest costs. To me, the car looks pretty dang good to start out with. I hope this helps. Good luck, you could do a lot worse.

Steve......

Posted on: 2012/12/10 15:06
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My brother checked out the usual rust spots, with no issues. There is some surface rust below the mat in the trunk, but nothing like what I had in my 51. He said the car started quickly and ran nicely. There was what may be a bondo repair above the passenger side fender skirt. There is a spot on the hood that needs to be repaired and repainted. The front grille surround has the all too typical crack in the corner that needs to be repaired, and then rechromed. The trunk medallion is pitted enough to need replateing. The interior is very good for it's age - mostly needs cleaning. The wipers work, as do all of the interior lights. My main issue is that I have a 51 200 with a newly overhauled 327 with a street grind cam, new upholstery and good chrome, and the correct year hood ornament. I've got it lined up to go to be glass blasted next week, and repainted after Christmas. I'm not ready to let the 51 200 go, which I would have to do in order to make the finances work. I'd love to get the car, but I have too many irons in the fire. If anyone is interested, the website is:http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/3465296666.html

The fellow's name is Doug and he is anxious to sell the Packard. The car was at the Packard meet in 2001, and the previous owner was from Columbus Ohio. And it is a 2472.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 15:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved