Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake Shoes fitting
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Bought some brake shoes, and rebuild kits from Kanter for my 41 110 Coupe. I'm a bit disappointed. The thickness of the metal of the shoe is quite a bit thicker. Took a dremel to the shoes to make the old parts fit.
Got one almost installed tonight, but seems fairly off center. Need to investigate tomorrow - ran out of light.

Seems like the thickness should be figured out by now?

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2012/12/21 22:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake Shoes fitting
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the brake drum diameter??? ID. The metal in the shoes is probabkly thicker because they are probably the same as some relatively modern (meaning with in the last 30 years) truck brake shoe. probably 1 ton or higher especialy if the the brakes are over 12" diameter brakes.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 22:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
I'll check this am when it gets warm enough. But, call me kooky for thinking a brake kit sold specifically for my car doesn't fit.

Other news, got my gas tank back from being boiled - really good shape. Brake lines here, just need to bend them.

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2012/12/22 11:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Where and how much metal did you have to remove from the shoes? Sure you've got the correct backing plates and cylinders and cylinder piston rods? The only similar situation I've encountered was years ago when I bought some Ford truck shoes for the rear of a 22nd Series Custom 8. The shoes had a slightly thicker central web, other than that they were identical. I just ground a small bit of the web so it would fit into the notch in the piston rods, other than all was OK and the shoes are still on the car today, never needed any subsequent attention.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 12:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Just a little where the star adjuster parts slide onto the webbing, and then the same where the parking brake (spring side) slides onto the webbing as well.

Again, when I go out there I'll check again because once I did get it all on there it seemed like it would not correctly center. If I pushed to center the assembly, one shoe would jump off the upper pivot. Hopefully, maybe this was because it was just getting dark and what not. Or, maybe it's the parking brake is frozen - would not surprise me.

Rich

Posted on: 2012/12/22 12:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
on your gas tank- blow air through line and vent to make sure they are open. i have had blocked lines and had to take the tank back out.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 13:33

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hi Rich,

I sent you a PM I would like to help you with the parts that we sold you if there is an issue.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
Marketing Supervisor
1-800-526-1096
Ext 316
jfrom@kanter.com

Posted on: 2012/12/26 12:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
I sent you a PM.

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2012/12/28 17:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is probably at least a dozen others that frequent this web site that would like to know how to fit the shoes too. Big secret??? What's the dealeo???

Posted on: 2012/12/28 20:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
I took a dremel to them to shave the area where the star adjustment forks and the emergency brake fork fit over the webbing.

Rich

Posted on: 2012/12/29 19:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved